Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Another name to analyze

  • Mark Grass
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      Sorry. Made a mistake reading one source or another.
      Don't remember which. Thanks for the update.
      Arimasa
      --- Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:
      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > >Iwakawa no Arimasa
      >
      > It is rather unlikely that you would be putting a
      > -no- between
      > Iwakawa and Arimasa. Japan is not Germany. -no- is
      > not really
      > quite the same thing as von- . The -no- names are
      > most typically
      > <uji> no <name>.
      > --
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

      > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig
      > Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
      > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia
      > Statis Mentis Est |
      > | mailto:nostrand@... |
      > mailto:bnostran@... |

      > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are
      > automatically routed to |
      > | the trash by my email filters.

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
        Greetings, all!

        I am officially back from my vacation, and trying to claw out of the blue funk
        that spending time in Miami always seems to engulf me in.

        Over the next few hours, I'll try to respond to a long accumulation of JML posts
        and other e-mails that made their way to my inbox.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
          Mark Grass wrote:
          > Effingham and Ii-dono
          >
          > I wasn't sure if sane would get changed in some form
          > by being the second part. The sane I used was from
          > your name section on your site Effingham-dono. So if
          > it comes out as Nobuzane I'll understand and so will
          > my cousin.

          Gotcha. "-zane" would be better, then.

          > I was wondering what the difference is between the
          > zodiac sign (tatsu) and the dragon (ryu). When I asked
          > about the use of Ryu in a name I was told that tatsu
          > is a perfectly acceptable and less common substitute.

          Well, they're just different characters, but they *mean* -- functionally -- the
          same thing. (Although one character means "dragon" the beast and the other means
          "dragon" the zodiac sign.)