Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Last Samurai Movie

  • Donald Luby
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
      On Dec 1, 2003, at 5:54 PM, yamashiro_kato wrote:

      > Konnichiwa.
      >
      > I accidentally ran across The Last Samurai Movie Guide book last
      > week. Normally I am not interested in movie guides, but as I thumbed
      > through the pages, I was impressed. They have some really good
      > pictures of the clothes, armor, and weapons. I had to buy it. I am
      > sure the garb is "hollywood-ified", but they do have some nice stuff
      > that is giving me ideas.

      Well, we can at least take some modicum of pleasure in the knowledge
      that the archery equipment was right (if not used right - haven't seen
      any clips with any archery use actually in it) - from what I was told,
      by the man himself about 2 years ago, Yumi was cntracted to make 100
      yumi for the movie. Now I'm just waiting for the production company to
      sell off all the equipment! :)

      > The book can be found at Amazon if you are interested:
      > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
      > /1931933634/qid=1070318935//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/104-9678736-
      > 9697514?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
      >
      > -A nip named Kato
      >
      >> Greetings All,
      >>
      >> I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend.
      >> One word
      >> "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see. The
      >> armor
      >> was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad
      >> thing is
      >> now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(
      >>
      >> In Service
      >> Togashi Ichiro

      Sir Koredono
    • Brian Dean
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
        Yeah, i finally got a production screenplay book for the movie,, so i have
        the stills,, well not all of them but alot, and i will agree,, AWSOME!!!
        though there is a piece of armor that is Definatly Scale, looks cool but
        dont know how period it is. and when i mean scale i mean like dragon scales.

        Onishi Hirotora no Tatsukami

        >From: "Bubba" <mysticz28@...>
        >To: <sca-jml@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Last Samurai Movie
        >Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:37:07 -0600
        >
        >Arthur Raymond wrote:
        > > Greetings All,
        > >
        > > I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One
        > > word "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see.
        > > The armor was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The
        > > only bad thing is now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see
        > > it again :(
        >
        >Now that I have the ability to grab frames from DVDs, I can't wait to get a
        >copy of it (yes, a legal copy). I'll wind up filling the drive with pics of
        >armor and garb and stuff ;)
        >
        >We halfway discussed going on opening day in garb, but figured the locals
        >wouldn't quite understand the armor and swords ;)
        >--
        >Kagemasa
        >mysticz28@...
        >He who seeks will find, and he who knocks will be let in.

        Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage
        now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003

          >I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One word
          >"Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see. The armor
          >was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad thing is
          >now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(

          I have only seen the previews and I sincerely hope that the movie is more
          historically accurate than the previews suggest. The movie should be set
          against the backdrop of the Satsuma rebellion. There are photographs of
          the Satsuma rebellion available in books.

        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
            Noble Cousins!

            Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
            Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
            Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
            early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
            and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
            soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
            have been four movies over four years.

            As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
            scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

          • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
              Sir Koredono,
              Yumi did indeed make 100 bows for the production, but They
              are, in his words, "Movie-bows" they are shaped like real yumi,
              and are bamboo, but are weak, not tillered at all, and are spray-
              painted instead of properly lacquered...Not fit for shooting, but
              would look good for court functions...

              An interesting thing to note is that when reading the hollywood
              script book...they take credit by saying..."Our prop department
              made 200 bows exactly like the real ones were made..."

              They did not give Yumi any credit at all for it - and he would have
              had to pay $6000.00 to get a single line movie credit as an
              armorer...It is a wierd industry...

              Yumi himself had three of the cast resin ebira which were used
              for the movie - the funny thing there was that the resin ebira
              looked great, but weighed about three times more than a real
              one would weigh! I believe he is selling them for about $250.00
              per...(Yikes for a resin repro!!!)

              Oh well...

              Date Saburou Yukiie
              Yama Kaminari Ryu
              http://www,kabutographics.com
              kabuto@...

              > Well, we can at least take some modicum of pleasure in the
              knowledge
              > that the archery equipment was right (if not used right - haven't
              seen
              > any clips with any archery use actually in it) - from what I was
              told,
              > by the man himself about 2 years ago, Yumi was cntracted to
              make 100
              > yumi for the movie. Now I'm just waiting for the production
              company to
              > sell off all the equipment! :)
            • echo2501
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <mysticz28@s...> wrote:
                > Arthur Raymond wrote:
                > We halfway discussed going on opening day in garb, but figured the
                locals
                > wouldn't quite understand the armor and swords ;)

                Yeah, I keep flip flopping on going to see it in garb. Not so much
                for the movie, but it gives me an excuse to go to the movies in some
                of my most comfortable clothing. ;) Possibly armor, but don't how
                comfortable that would be at the movies.

                Comfort... snickering... comfort... snickering... hmmmmm...
                Will they balance out enough for me?

                -Luis / Seiichirô
              • Choronzey, Marc
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                  The trailer to Return of the King you mean? or a "trailer scene" in the
                  movie itself?

                  You can see the 1st trailer on Lordoftherings.net if that's what you're
                  looking for.

                  -Marc Choronzey
                  OFA, Bell Mobility, Montreal.
                  work: 514.495.5343
                  Page : 514.414.0907
                  Cell : 514.917.4764

                • Anthony Thompson
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                    From what I understand, the movie was fairly close to the book from which it
                    was based, though I can't be sure... I haven't read it yet. Also, I
                    heard... a large rumor mind you, that Peter Jackson was thinking of making
                    the Hobbit. Mind you this was a rumor, so don't hold me on it.

                    >Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
                    >Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
                    >Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
                    >early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
                    >and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
                    >soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
                    >have been four movies over four years.

                    Yeah, movie makers do that a lot. They put scenes into a trailer, only to
                    later take them out for story or time reasons. Sometimes movie makers shoot
                    a part of the movie just to put into the trailer and not the actual film...
                    now that's just mean.

                    >As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
                    >scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

                    I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject matter...
                    I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you thought, but
                    it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and Sphere did.
                    Ok, I'll stop now...

                    Kagesue
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                      I haven't seen either "Last Samurai" or "Master and Commander" yet...I hope to see at least one of them this weekend.

                      However, we did receive the deluxe set of "The Two Towers". There was a lot of additional material in the movie that was not in the theatrical release...most of which served to explain some of the events. It really made for a much better movie.

                      Kiri

                      Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
                      You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
                      You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
                      You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

                      > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

                      was based, though I can't be sure... I haven't read it yet. Also, I
                      heard... a large rumor mind you, that Peter Jackson was thinking of making
                      the Hobbit. Mind you this was a rumor, so don't hold me on it.

                      >Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
                      >Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
                      >Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
                      >early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
                      >and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
                      >soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
                      >have been four movies over four years.

                      Yeah, movie makers do that a lot. They put scenes into a trailer, only to
                      later take them out for story or time reasons. Sometimes movie makers shoot
                      a part of the movie just to put into the trailer and not the actual film...
                      now that's just mean.

                      >As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
                      >scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

                      I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject matter...
                      I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you thought, but
                      it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and Sphere did.
                      Ok, I'll stop now...

                      Kagesue

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Solveig
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                        Noble Cousin!

                        Greetings from Solveig! I ment the trailer for Master and Commander.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                          Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
                          > Sir Koredono,
                          > Yumi did indeed make 100 bows for the production, but They
                          > are, in his words, "Movie-bows" they are shaped like real yumi,
                          > and are bamboo, but are weak, not tillered at all, and are spray-
                          > painted instead of properly lacquered...Not fit for shooting, but
                          > would look good for court functions...
                          >
                          > An interesting thing to note is that when reading the hollywood
                          > script book...they take credit by saying..."Our prop department
                          > made 200 bows exactly like the real ones were made..."
                          >
                          > They did not give Yumi any credit at all for it - and he would have
                          > had to pay $6000.00 to get a single line movie credit as an
                          > armorer...It is a wierd industry...

                          LOL! I can relate. About a year and a half ago I got an e-mail asking if I could
                          provide their art director with some info on bakumatsu Japanese military camp
                          /field equipment. Sent a pile of URLs and some reference sources and materials,
                          and never heard back. Sigh.

                          Effingham
                        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                            Hiraizumi-sensei,
                            I did two full suits of armor and two kabuto for the movie folk a
                            few years ago. I got paid well enough, but found that the movie
                            industry likes to take credit for more than they do...and are dis-
                            inclined to give even a bone or two to those who they consider
                            outside their world...even if they did the actual work...
                            Jaap (Yumi) knew what he was doing, is does not feel slighted
                            in any way...he has bigger projects in the works than a hollywood
                            samurai movie with white guys in it...
                            Baka Gaijin...
                            He just returned from China, where he did the opening
                            ceremonies for the International Asian Archery Festival...I can get
                            you the URLs if you like... (now he can start on my shigeto-
                            yumi...hehehe...)

                            Date Saburou Yukiie
                            Yama Kaminari Ryu
                            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                              It's not just confined to the movies. A couple of years back, Emeril did a show on Medieval cooking. To begin with, some of what he did was Victorian rather than Medieval. But worst of all, the stuff that he did that was period came from Master Cariadoc's web site. I believe that Cariadoc has the information copyrighted, but that didn't stop Emeril. And...he didn't even have the decency to credit David Friedman (Master Cariadoc)! I believe David contacted the producers of the show about this, but don't know what the outcome was.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003

                                >It's not just confined to the movies. A couple of years back,
                                >Emeril did a show on Medieval cooking. To begin with, some of what
                                >he did was Victorian rather than Medieval. But worst of all, the
                                >stuff that he did that was period came from Master Cariadoc's web
                                >site. I believe that Cariadoc has the information copyrighted, but
                                >that didn't stop Emeril. And...he didn't even have the decency to
                                >credit David Friedman (Master Cariadoc)! I believe David contacted
                                >the producers of the show about this, but don't know what the
                                >outcome was.

                                By and large, recipes can not be copyrighted. They have special treatment
                                under U.S. copyright law. Further, information can not be copyrighted. What
                                is copyrighted is expression in tangible form. However, failure to attest
                                sources is considered a sin against scholarship.

                                What can be copyrighted? Potentially the exact wording of the procedure for
                                the preparing the recipe, but not the list of ingredients. You can copyright
                                analysis, commentary, and discussions of origin.

                                (Ref) The Recpie Writer's Handbook and Kirsh's Handbook of Publishing Law.

                              • Elaine Koogler
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                  I understand...but the point was that Emeril used work done by another without bothering to credit him for the usage. It is actually more a matter of ethics, in all probability, than law...though I suspect that, David Friedman being experienced in law, if there was anything that could be done, he did it!

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                    Konnichi wa,
                                    As a functional photographer, fine and graphic artist, I am big on
                                    copyright...
                                    ( http://www.copyright.gov ) and I enjoy doing artwork that people can
                                    see. What else is the point, if people don't see it...but I realy do
                                    believe ethically that people should credit their sources.
                                    For the production crew to say "their" prop department did the
                                    work...that is problematical - By contract, Jaap technically did work
                                    for them...but the facts were distorted when they reported their
                                    numbers...and it made it seem that it was an in-house crew that did
                                    the work, rather than hired-out professional labour.
                                    Plus, movie props are not made just like the real things - resin
                                    quivers are not like real ones...
                                    Is Jaap's work copyrightable? Why, to a degree, yes...
                                    He makes production yumi for the world. A bow, by and large, is
                                    already common domain, but his technique is protected, and the actual
                                    work he did should be credited to him. Jaap obviously did not invent
                                    the yumi...but he learned from a very good historical liniage, and his
                                    particular personal additions to the process are his alone...no one
                                    can take credit for them.
                                    But he did contract the bows he made to be used for the movie crew as
                                    they say fit.

                                    Will I still go see the movie...of course. Yumi is a big boy...I just
                                    wish that the movie folk chose to give him some sort of credit. All I
                                    can do as a friend and an ethical artist is to let people know who did
                                    the real work. Jaap would do the same for me. We have known each other
                                    long enough to feel comfortable in that...
                                    Enough ranting...

                                    Date Saburou Yukiie

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003

                                      >I understand...but the point was that Emeril used work done by
                                      >another without bothering to credit him for the usage. It is
                                      >actually more a matter of ethics, in all probability, than
                                      >law...though I suspect that, David Friedman being experienced in
                                      >law, if there was anything that could be done, he did it!

                                      I wrote that it is "a sin against scholarship". That is, they did a sholarly
                                      NO-NO. They should be scolded and possibly discredited. However, they probably
                                      did not violate copyright.

                                      As for Yaap. He created what is known as a "work made for hire" and the
                                      copyright belongs to the movie studio that hired him. Do I think that the
                                      movie studio acted like scoundrels. Absolutely. After sitting through minuttes
                                      of credits for a movie which include the names of each of the tutors for
                                      child actors, the name of the catering service, the name of the legal services,
                                      the names of historical consultants and dialect coaches, I do think that they
                                      could have included Yaap among a list of "armourers" in the credits.

                                    • klaus1526
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 4, 2003
                                        > I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject
                                        matter...
                                        > I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you
                                        thought, but
                                        > it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and
                                        Sphere did.
                                        > Ok, I'll stop now...
                                        >
                                        > Kagesue

                                        Yeah, I thought Timeline was lacking in "soul". I was never engaged
                                        in the movie and really didn't care about the characters. I did read
                                        the book, and it was, as usual, far better than the movie.
                                        It seems the Timeline was made for the 12-13yr olds and didn't have
                                        good acting or dialogue. It was a disappointment.

                                        KlausH