Re: Last Samurai Movie

  • yamashiro_kato
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
      Konnichiwa.

      I accidentally ran across The Last Samurai Movie Guide book last
      week. Normally I am not interested in movie guides, but as I thumbed
      through the pages, I was impressed. They have some really good
      pictures of the clothes, armor, and weapons. I had to buy it. I am
      sure the garb is "hollywood-ified", but they do have some nice stuff
      that is giving me ideas.

      The book can be found at Amazon if you are interested:
      /1931933634/qid=1070318935//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/104-9678736-
      9697514?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

      -A nip named Kato

      > Greetings All,
      >
      > I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend.
      One word
      > "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see.
      The armor
      > was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad
      thing is
      > now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(
      >
      > In Service
      > Togashi Ichiro
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "yamashiro_kato"
        <yamashiro_kato@y...> wrote:
        >> I accidentally ran across The Last Samurai Movie Guide book last
        > week. Normally I am not interested in movie guides, but as I
        thumbed
        > through the pages, I was impressed. They have some really good
        > pictures of the clothes, armor, and weapons. I had to buy it. I
        am
        > sure the garb is "hollywood-ified", but they do have some nice
        stuff
        > that is giving me ideas.

        On the other hand, the film is set during a period for which
        photographs exist. One hopes the art and costume designers looked at
        some.

        I'm looking forward to seeing it, though I did get my "things that
        float and go boom" with "Master and Commander" last week.

        Makiwara
      • Donald Luby
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
          On Dec 1, 2003, at 5:54 PM, yamashiro_kato wrote:

          > Konnichiwa.
          >
          > I accidentally ran across The Last Samurai Movie Guide book last
          > week. Normally I am not interested in movie guides, but as I thumbed
          > through the pages, I was impressed. They have some really good
          > pictures of the clothes, armor, and weapons. I had to buy it. I am
          > sure the garb is "hollywood-ified", but they do have some nice stuff
          > that is giving me ideas.

          Well, we can at least take some modicum of pleasure in the knowledge
          that the archery equipment was right (if not used right - haven't seen
          any clips with any archery use actually in it) - from what I was told,
          by the man himself about 2 years ago, Yumi was cntracted to make 100
          yumi for the movie. Now I'm just waiting for the production company to
          sell off all the equipment! :)

          > The book can be found at Amazon if you are interested:
          > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
          > /1931933634/qid=1070318935//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/104-9678736-
          > 9697514?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
          >
          > -A nip named Kato
          >
          >> Greetings All,
          >>
          >> I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend.
          >> One word
          >> "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see. The
          >> armor
          >> was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad
          >> thing is
          >> now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(
          >>
          >> In Service
          >> Togashi Ichiro

          Sir Koredono
        • Brian Dean
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
            Yeah, i finally got a production screenplay book for the movie,, so i have
            the stills,, well not all of them but alot, and i will agree,, AWSOME!!!
            though there is a piece of armor that is Definatly Scale, looks cool but
            dont know how period it is. and when i mean scale i mean like dragon scales.

            Onishi Hirotora no Tatsukami

            >From: "Bubba" <mysticz28@...>
            >To: <sca-jml@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Last Samurai Movie
            >Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:37:07 -0600
            >
            >Arthur Raymond wrote:
            > > Greetings All,
            > >
            > > I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One
            > > word "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see.
            > > The armor was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The
            > > only bad thing is now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see
            > > it again :(
            >
            >Now that I have the ability to grab frames from DVDs, I can't wait to get a
            >copy of it (yes, a legal copy). I'll wind up filling the drive with pics of
            >armor and garb and stuff ;)
            >
            >We halfway discussed going on opening day in garb, but figured the locals
            >wouldn't quite understand the armor and swords ;)
            >--
            >Kagemasa
            >mysticz28@...
            >He who seeks will find, and he who knocks will be let in.

            Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage
            now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003

              >I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One word
              >"Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see. The armor
              >was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad thing is
              >now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(

              I have only seen the previews and I sincerely hope that the movie is more
              historically accurate than the previews suggest. The movie should be set
              against the backdrop of the Satsuma rebellion. There are photographs of
              the Satsuma rebellion available in books.

            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003

                Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
                Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
                Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
                early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
                and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
                soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
                have been four movies over four years.

                As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
                scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

              • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Sir Koredono,
                  Yumi did indeed make 100 bows for the production, but They
                  are, in his words, "Movie-bows" they are shaped like real yumi,
                  and are bamboo, but are weak, not tillered at all, and are spray-
                  painted instead of properly lacquered...Not fit for shooting, but
                  would look good for court functions...

                  An interesting thing to note is that when reading the hollywood
                  script book...they take credit by saying..."Our prop department
                  made 200 bows exactly like the real ones were made..."

                  They did not give Yumi any credit at all for it - and he would have
                  had to pay $6000.00 to get a single line movie credit as an
                  armorer...It is a wierd industry...

                  Yumi himself had three of the cast resin ebira which were used
                  for the movie - the funny thing there was that the resin ebira
                  looked great, but weighed about three times more than a real
                  one would weigh! I believe he is selling them for about $250.00
                  per...(Yikes for a resin repro!!!)

                  Oh well...

                  Date Saburou Yukiie
                  Yama Kaminari Ryu
                  http://www,kabutographics.com
                  kabuto@...

                  > Well, we can at least take some modicum of pleasure in the
                  knowledge
                  > that the archery equipment was right (if not used right - haven't
                  seen
                  > any clips with any archery use actually in it) - from what I was
                  told,
                  > by the man himself about 2 years ago, Yumi was cntracted to
                  make 100
                  > yumi for the movie. Now I'm just waiting for the production
                  company to
                  > sell off all the equipment! :)
                • echo2501
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <mysticz28@s...> wrote:
                    > Arthur Raymond wrote:
                    > We halfway discussed going on opening day in garb, but figured the
                    locals
                    > wouldn't quite understand the armor and swords ;)

                    Yeah, I keep flip flopping on going to see it in garb. Not so much
                    for the movie, but it gives me an excuse to go to the movies in some
                    of my most comfortable clothing. ;) Possibly armor, but don't how
                    comfortable that would be at the movies.

                    Comfort... snickering... comfort... snickering... hmmmmm...
                    Will they balance out enough for me?

                    -Luis / Seiichirô
                  • Choronzey, Marc
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                      The trailer to Return of the King you mean? or a "trailer scene" in the
                      movie itself?

                      You can see the 1st trailer on Lordoftherings.net if that's what you're
                      looking for.

                      -Marc Choronzey
                      OFA, Bell Mobility, Montreal.
                      work: 514.495.5343
                      Page : 514.414.0907
                      Cell : 514.917.4764

                    • Anthony Thompson
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                        From what I understand, the movie was fairly close to the book from which it
                        was based, though I can't be sure... I haven't read it yet. Also, I
                        heard... a large rumor mind you, that Peter Jackson was thinking of making
                        the Hobbit. Mind you this was a rumor, so don't hold me on it.

                        >Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
                        >Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
                        >Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
                        >early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
                        >and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
                        >soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
                        >have been four movies over four years.

                        Yeah, movie makers do that a lot. They put scenes into a trailer, only to
                        later take them out for story or time reasons. Sometimes movie makers shoot
                        a part of the movie just to put into the trailer and not the actual film...
                        now that's just mean.

                        >As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
                        >scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

                        I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject matter...
                        I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you thought, but
                        it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and Sphere did.
                        Ok, I'll stop now...

                        Kagesue
                      • Elaine Koogler
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                          I haven't seen either "Last Samurai" or "Master and Commander" yet...I hope to see at least one of them this weekend.

                          However, we did receive the deluxe set of "The Two Towers". There was a lot of additional material in the movie that was not in the theatrical release...most of which served to explain some of the events. It really made for a much better movie.

                          Kiri

                          Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
                          You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
                          You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
                          You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

                          > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

                          was based, though I can't be sure... I haven't read it yet. Also, I
                          heard... a large rumor mind you, that Peter Jackson was thinking of making
                          the Hobbit. Mind you this was a rumor, so don't hold me on it.

                          >Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
                          >Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
                          >Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
                          >early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
                          >and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
                          >soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
                          >have been four movies over four years.

                          Yeah, movie makers do that a lot. They put scenes into a trailer, only to
                          later take them out for story or time reasons. Sometimes movie makers shoot
                          a part of the movie just to put into the trailer and not the actual film...
                          now that's just mean.

                          >As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
                          >scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

                          I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject matter...
                          I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you thought, but
                          it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and Sphere did.
                          Ok, I'll stop now...

                          Kagesue

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Solveig
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003

                            Greetings from Solveig! I ment the trailer for Master and Commander.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                              Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
                              > Sir Koredono,
                              > Yumi did indeed make 100 bows for the production, but They
                              > are, in his words, "Movie-bows" they are shaped like real yumi,
                              > and are bamboo, but are weak, not tillered at all, and are spray-
                              > painted instead of properly lacquered...Not fit for shooting, but
                              > would look good for court functions...
                              >
                              > An interesting thing to note is that when reading the hollywood
                              > script book...they take credit by saying..."Our prop department
                              > made 200 bows exactly like the real ones were made..."
                              >
                              > They did not give Yumi any credit at all for it - and he would have
                              > had to pay $6000.00 to get a single line movie credit as an
                              > armorer...It is a wierd industry...

                              LOL! I can relate. About a year and a half ago I got an e-mail asking if I could
                              provide their art director with some info on bakumatsu Japanese military camp
                              /field equipment. Sent a pile of URLs and some reference sources and materials,
                              and never heard back. Sigh.

                              Effingham
                            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                Hiraizumi-sensei,
                                I did two full suits of armor and two kabuto for the movie folk a
                                few years ago. I got paid well enough, but found that the movie
                                industry likes to take credit for more than they do...and are dis-
                                inclined to give even a bone or two to those who they consider
                                outside their world...even if they did the actual work...
                                Jaap (Yumi) knew what he was doing, is does not feel slighted
                                in any way...he has bigger projects in the works than a hollywood
                                samurai movie with white guys in it...
                                Baka Gaijin...
                                He just returned from China, where he did the opening
                                ceremonies for the International Asian Archery Festival...I can get
                                you the URLs if you like... (now he can start on my shigeto-
                                yumi...hehehe...)

                                Date Saburou Yukiie
                                Yama Kaminari Ryu
                                Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                  It's not just confined to the movies. A couple of years back, Emeril did a show on Medieval cooking. To begin with, some of what he did was Victorian rather than Medieval. But worst of all, the stuff that he did that was period came from Master Cariadoc's web site. I believe that Cariadoc has the information copyrighted, but that didn't stop Emeril. And...he didn't even have the decency to credit David Friedman (Master Cariadoc)! I believe David contacted the producers of the show about this, but don't know what the outcome was.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003

                                    >It's not just confined to the movies. A couple of years back,
                                    >Emeril did a show on Medieval cooking. To begin with, some of what
                                    >he did was Victorian rather than Medieval. But worst of all, the
                                    >stuff that he did that was period came from Master Cariadoc's web
                                    >site. I believe that Cariadoc has the information copyrighted, but
                                    >that didn't stop Emeril. And...he didn't even have the decency to
                                    >credit David Friedman (Master Cariadoc)! I believe David contacted
                                    >the producers of the show about this, but don't know what the
                                    >outcome was.

                                    By and large, recipes can not be copyrighted. They have special treatment
                                    under U.S. copyright law. Further, information can not be copyrighted. What
                                    is copyrighted is expression in tangible form. However, failure to attest
                                    sources is considered a sin against scholarship.

                                    What can be copyrighted? Potentially the exact wording of the procedure for
                                    the preparing the recipe, but not the list of ingredients. You can copyright
                                    analysis, commentary, and discussions of origin.

                                    (Ref) The Recpie Writer's Handbook and Kirsh's Handbook of Publishing Law.

                                  • Elaine Koogler
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                      I understand...but the point was that Emeril used work done by another without bothering to credit him for the usage. It is actually more a matter of ethics, in all probability, than law...though I suspect that, David Friedman being experienced in law, if there was anything that could be done, he did it!

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                        Konnichi wa,
                                        As a functional photographer, fine and graphic artist, I am big on
                                        copyright...
                                        ( http://www.copyright.gov ) and I enjoy doing artwork that people can
                                        see. What else is the point, if people don't see it...but I realy do
                                        believe ethically that people should credit their sources.
                                        For the production crew to say "their" prop department did the
                                        work...that is problematical - By contract, Jaap technically did work
                                        for them...but the facts were distorted when they reported their
                                        numbers...and it made it seem that it was an in-house crew that did
                                        the work, rather than hired-out professional labour.
                                        Plus, movie props are not made just like the real things - resin
                                        quivers are not like real ones...
                                        Is Jaap's work copyrightable? Why, to a degree, yes...
                                        He makes production yumi for the world. A bow, by and large, is
                                        already common domain, but his technique is protected, and the actual
                                        work he did should be credited to him. Jaap obviously did not invent
                                        the yumi...but he learned from a very good historical liniage, and his
                                        particular personal additions to the process are his alone...no one
                                        can take credit for them.
                                        But he did contract the bows he made to be used for the movie crew as
                                        they say fit.

                                        Will I still go see the movie...of course. Yumi is a big boy...I just
                                        wish that the movie folk chose to give him some sort of credit. All I
                                        can do as a friend and an ethical artist is to let people know who did
                                        the real work. Jaap would do the same for me. We have known each other
                                        long enough to feel comfortable in that...
                                        Enough ranting...

                                        Date Saburou Yukiie

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003

                                          >I understand...but the point was that Emeril used work done by
                                          >another without bothering to credit him for the usage. It is
                                          >actually more a matter of ethics, in all probability, than
                                          >law...though I suspect that, David Friedman being experienced in
                                          >law, if there was anything that could be done, he did it!

                                          I wrote that it is "a sin against scholarship". That is, they did a sholarly
                                          NO-NO. They should be scolded and possibly discredited. However, they probably
                                          did not violate copyright.

                                          As for Yaap. He created what is known as a "work made for hire" and the
                                          copyright belongs to the movie studio that hired him. Do I think that the
                                          movie studio acted like scoundrels. Absolutely. After sitting through minuttes
                                          of credits for a movie which include the names of each of the tutors for
                                          child actors, the name of the catering service, the name of the legal services,
                                          the names of historical consultants and dialect coaches, I do think that they
                                          could have included Yaap among a list of "armourers" in the credits.

                                        • klaus1526
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 4, 2003
                                            > I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject
                                            matter...
                                            > I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you
                                            thought, but
                                            > it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and
                                            Sphere did.
                                            > Ok, I'll stop now...
                                            >
                                            > Kagesue

                                            Yeah, I thought Timeline was lacking in "soul". I was never engaged
                                            in the movie and really didn't care about the characters. I did read
                                            the book, and it was, as usual, far better than the movie.
                                            It seems the Timeline was made for the 12-13yr olds and didn't have
                                            good acting or dialogue. It was a disappointment.

                                            KlausH