Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 39

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2000

      It is a figurative list.

      However, it includes not just the clothing book already mentioned,
      but also Japanese Names by P.G. O'Neil. Further, I would not recomend
      Secrets of the Samurai (if I recall the title correctly) which I
      recently posted. There may be a wealth of modern martial arts material
      in the book, but simply reading the introduction suggests that the
      authors just don't get it. Further, poking through the book we come
      to their section on Sumo which is a form going back over a thousand
      years and which is given very short shrift in comparison to going gosh
      golly about some of the more fantastic claims of modern Japanese martial
      arts. I do not want to comment extensively on this book as that is
      properly the province of Baron Edward who has extensively studied
      Japanese martial stuff. Despite all of this, there is some pretty
      good stuff in this book. This just (in my opinion) makes it more
      dangerous as the authors do nothing to signal which section you are
      in and nowhere (to my recollection) make any protestations of
      modesty or limitation concerning their work.

      As for examining a list of titles acquired. Perhaps it should be
      submitted to the general discussion group. For that matter, composing
      a bibliography on things Japanese might be a worthy project.

      | techie.com |
    • Marc Choronzey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2000
        Konichiwa All,

        Personaly, I would like to have the ISBN for "How to make your own japanese
        clothing" if at all possible...

        Domo.