Re: [SCA-JML] Last Samurai Movie

  • Pamela Grayer
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 29, 2003
      From: "Arthur Raymond" <Dragon_III@...>
      To: <sca-jml@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 6:50 PM
      Subject: [SCA-JML] Last Samurai Movie

      > Greetings All,
      >
      > I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One word
      > "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see. The armor
      > was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad thing
      is
      > now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(
      >
      > In Service
      > Togashi Ichiro

      Lucky you!
      As usual, we in Great Britain have to wait a little longer. I think it's the
      end of December/January for general release here.....
      Michael
      BAJS, Asiatic Society of Japan
    • Arthur Raymond
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
        Greetings All,

        I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One word
        "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see. The armor
        was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad thing is
        now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(

        In Service
        Togashi Ichiro

        Set yourself up for fun at home! Get tips on home entertainment equipment,
        video game reviews, and more here.
        http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx
      • Choronzey, Marc
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
          Well, not on opening night, but in Montreal we are a few of us going in
          garb. No weapons though. Figured it would be much fun for us.

          -Marc Choronzey
          OFA, Bell Mobility, Montreal.
          work: 514.495.5343
          Page : 514.414.0907
          Cell : 514.917.4764

        • Bubba
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
            Arthur Raymond wrote:
            > Greetings All,
            >
            > I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One
            > word "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see.
            > The armor was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The
            > only bad thing is now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see
            > it again :(

            Now that I have the ability to grab frames from DVDs, I can't wait to get a
            copy of it (yes, a legal copy). I'll wind up filling the drive with pics of
            armor and garb and stuff ;)

            We halfway discussed going on opening day in garb, but figured the locals
            wouldn't quite understand the armor and swords ;)
            --
            Kagemasa
            mysticz28@...
          • echo2501
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
              *laugh* I read about the 7:30pm sneak preview here at 7:45pm.

              Was kicking myself for about a half hour over that one.
            • yamashiro_kato
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
                Konnichiwa.

                I accidentally ran across The Last Samurai Movie Guide book last
                week. Normally I am not interested in movie guides, but as I thumbed
                through the pages, I was impressed. They have some really good
                pictures of the clothes, armor, and weapons. I had to buy it. I am
                sure the garb is "hollywood-ified", but they do have some nice stuff
                that is giving me ideas.

                The book can be found at Amazon if you are interested:
                /1931933634/qid=1070318935//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/104-9678736-
                9697514?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

                -A nip named Kato

                > Greetings All,
                >
                > I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend.
                One word
                > "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see.
                The armor
                > was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad
                thing is
                > now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(
                >
                > In Service
                > Togashi Ichiro
              • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "yamashiro_kato"
                  <yamashiro_kato@y...> wrote:
                  >> I accidentally ran across The Last Samurai Movie Guide book last
                  > week. Normally I am not interested in movie guides, but as I
                  thumbed
                  > through the pages, I was impressed. They have some really good
                  > pictures of the clothes, armor, and weapons. I had to buy it. I
                  am
                  > sure the garb is "hollywood-ified", but they do have some nice
                  stuff
                  > that is giving me ideas.

                  On the other hand, the film is set during a period for which
                  photographs exist. One hopes the art and costume designers looked at
                  some.

                  I'm looking forward to seeing it, though I did get my "things that
                  float and go boom" with "Master and Commander" last week.

                  Makiwara
                • Donald Luby
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
                    On Dec 1, 2003, at 5:54 PM, yamashiro_kato wrote:

                    > Konnichiwa.
                    >
                    > I accidentally ran across The Last Samurai Movie Guide book last
                    > week. Normally I am not interested in movie guides, but as I thumbed
                    > through the pages, I was impressed. They have some really good
                    > pictures of the clothes, armor, and weapons. I had to buy it. I am
                    > sure the garb is "hollywood-ified", but they do have some nice stuff
                    > that is giving me ideas.

                    Well, we can at least take some modicum of pleasure in the knowledge
                    that the archery equipment was right (if not used right - haven't seen
                    any clips with any archery use actually in it) - from what I was told,
                    by the man himself about 2 years ago, Yumi was cntracted to make 100
                    yumi for the movie. Now I'm just waiting for the production company to
                    sell off all the equipment! :)

                    > The book can be found at Amazon if you are interested:
                    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
                    > /1931933634/qid=1070318935//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/104-9678736-
                    > 9697514?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
                    >
                    > -A nip named Kato
                    >
                    >> Greetings All,
                    >>
                    >> I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend.
                    >> One word
                    >> "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see. The
                    >> armor
                    >> was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad
                    >> thing is
                    >> now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(
                    >>
                    >> In Service
                    >> Togashi Ichiro

                    Sir Koredono
                  • Brian Dean
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
                      Yeah, i finally got a production screenplay book for the movie,, so i have
                      the stills,, well not all of them but alot, and i will agree,, AWSOME!!!
                      though there is a piece of armor that is Definatly Scale, looks cool but
                      dont know how period it is. and when i mean scale i mean like dragon scales.

                      Onishi Hirotora no Tatsukami

                      >From: "Bubba" <mysticz28@...>
                      >To: <sca-jml@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Last Samurai Movie
                      >Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:37:07 -0600
                      >
                      >Arthur Raymond wrote:
                      > > Greetings All,
                      > >
                      > > I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One
                      > > word "Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see.
                      > > The armor was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The
                      > > only bad thing is now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see
                      > > it again :(
                      >
                      >Now that I have the ability to grab frames from DVDs, I can't wait to get a
                      >copy of it (yes, a legal copy). I'll wind up filling the drive with pics of
                      >armor and garb and stuff ;)
                      >
                      >We halfway discussed going on opening day in garb, but figured the locals
                      >wouldn't quite understand the armor and swords ;)
                      >--
                      >Kagemasa
                      >mysticz28@...
                      >He who seeks will find, and he who knocks will be let in.

                      Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage
                      now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
                    • Solveig
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003

                        >I had a chance to see Last Samurai on sneek preview this weekend. One word
                        >"Awesome!" The costumes were really good, as far as I could see. The armor
                        >was wonderful. The action sequences were well filmed. The only bad thing is
                        >now I'm going to have to wait till the 7th to see it again :(

                        I have only seen the previews and I sincerely hope that the movie is more
                        historically accurate than the previews suggest. The movie should be set
                        against the backdrop of the Satsuma rebellion. There are photographs of
                        the Satsuma rebellion available in books.

                      • Solveig
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003

                          Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
                          Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
                          Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
                          early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
                          and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
                          soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
                          have been four movies over four years.

                          As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
                          scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

                        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                            Sir Koredono,
                            Yumi did indeed make 100 bows for the production, but They
                            are, in his words, "Movie-bows" they are shaped like real yumi,
                            and are bamboo, but are weak, not tillered at all, and are spray-
                            painted instead of properly lacquered...Not fit for shooting, but
                            would look good for court functions...

                            An interesting thing to note is that when reading the hollywood
                            script book...they take credit by saying..."Our prop department
                            made 200 bows exactly like the real ones were made..."

                            They did not give Yumi any credit at all for it - and he would have
                            had to pay $6000.00 to get a single line movie credit as an
                            armorer...It is a wierd industry...

                            Yumi himself had three of the cast resin ebira which were used
                            for the movie - the funny thing there was that the resin ebira
                            looked great, but weighed about three times more than a real
                            one would weigh! I believe he is selling them for about $250.00
                            per...(Yikes for a resin repro!!!)

                            Oh well...

                            Date Saburou Yukiie
                            Yama Kaminari Ryu
                            http://www,kabutographics.com
                            kabuto@...

                            > Well, we can at least take some modicum of pleasure in the
                            knowledge
                            > that the archery equipment was right (if not used right - haven't
                            seen
                            > any clips with any archery use actually in it) - from what I was
                            told,
                            > by the man himself about 2 years ago, Yumi was cntracted to
                            make 100
                            > yumi for the movie. Now I'm just waiting for the production
                            company to
                            > sell off all the equipment! :)
                          • echo2501
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <mysticz28@s...> wrote:
                              > Arthur Raymond wrote:
                              > We halfway discussed going on opening day in garb, but figured the
                              locals
                              > wouldn't quite understand the armor and swords ;)

                              Yeah, I keep flip flopping on going to see it in garb. Not so much
                              for the movie, but it gives me an excuse to go to the movies in some
                              of my most comfortable clothing. ;) Possibly armor, but don't how
                              comfortable that would be at the movies.

                              Comfort... snickering... comfort... snickering... hmmmmm...
                              Will they balance out enough for me?

                              -Luis / Seiichirô
                            • Choronzey, Marc
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                                The trailer to Return of the King you mean? or a "trailer scene" in the
                                movie itself?

                                You can see the 1st trailer on Lordoftherings.net if that's what you're
                                looking for.

                                -Marc Choronzey
                                OFA, Bell Mobility, Montreal.
                                work: 514.495.5343
                                Page : 514.414.0907
                                Cell : 514.917.4764

                              • Anthony Thompson
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                                  From what I understand, the movie was fairly close to the book from which it
                                  was based, though I can't be sure... I haven't read it yet. Also, I
                                  heard... a large rumor mind you, that Peter Jackson was thinking of making
                                  the Hobbit. Mind you this was a rumor, so don't hold me on it.

                                  >Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
                                  >Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
                                  >Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
                                  >early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
                                  >and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
                                  >soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
                                  >have been four movies over four years.

                                  Yeah, movie makers do that a lot. They put scenes into a trailer, only to
                                  later take them out for story or time reasons. Sometimes movie makers shoot
                                  a part of the movie just to put into the trailer and not the actual film...
                                  now that's just mean.

                                  >As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
                                  >scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

                                  I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject matter...
                                  I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you thought, but
                                  it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and Sphere did.
                                  Ok, I'll stop now...

                                  Kagesue
                                • Elaine Koogler
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                                    I haven't seen either "Last Samurai" or "Master and Commander" yet...I hope to see at least one of them this weekend.

                                    However, we did receive the deluxe set of "The Two Towers". There was a lot of additional material in the movie that was not in the theatrical release...most of which served to explain some of the events. It really made for a much better movie.

                                    Kiri

                                    Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
                                    You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
                                    You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
                                    You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

                                    > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

                                    was based, though I can't be sure... I haven't read it yet. Also, I
                                    heard... a large rumor mind you, that Peter Jackson was thinking of making
                                    the Hobbit. Mind you this was a rumor, so don't hold me on it.

                                    >Greetings from Solveig! Master and Commander is the Napoleonic Wars meets
                                    >Moby Dick. I rather enjoyed the movie, but started thinking of captain
                                    >Ahab meets the voyage of the Beagle during the Napoleonic wars rather
                                    >early on during the movie. Yes. It was great fun to see things that float
                                    >and go boom. Now then. We also get to see Lord of the Rings III fairly
                                    >soon. I am a bit annoyed that they didn't to The Hobit as well. That would
                                    >have been four movies over four years.

                                    Yeah, movie makers do that a lot. They put scenes into a trailer, only to
                                    later take them out for story or time reasons. Sometimes movie makers shoot
                                    a part of the movie just to put into the trailer and not the actual film...
                                    now that's just mean.

                                    >As for Master and Commander, did anyone see a version which had the trailer
                                    >scene in it? The one I saw did not have the trailer scene in the movie.

                                    I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject matter...
                                    I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you thought, but
                                    it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and Sphere did.
                                    Ok, I'll stop now...

                                    Kagesue

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  • Solveig
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003

                                      Greetings from Solveig! I ment the trailer for Master and Commander.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                        Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
                                        > Sir Koredono,
                                        > Yumi did indeed make 100 bows for the production, but They
                                        > are, in his words, "Movie-bows" they are shaped like real yumi,
                                        > and are bamboo, but are weak, not tillered at all, and are spray-
                                        > painted instead of properly lacquered...Not fit for shooting, but
                                        > would look good for court functions...
                                        >
                                        > An interesting thing to note is that when reading the hollywood
                                        > script book...they take credit by saying..."Our prop department
                                        > made 200 bows exactly like the real ones were made..."
                                        >
                                        > They did not give Yumi any credit at all for it - and he would have
                                        > had to pay $6000.00 to get a single line movie credit as an
                                        > armorer...It is a wierd industry...

                                        LOL! I can relate. About a year and a half ago I got an e-mail asking if I could
                                        provide their art director with some info on bakumatsu Japanese military camp
                                        /field equipment. Sent a pile of URLs and some reference sources and materials,
                                        and never heard back. Sigh.

                                        Effingham
                                      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                          Hiraizumi-sensei,
                                          I did two full suits of armor and two kabuto for the movie folk a
                                          few years ago. I got paid well enough, but found that the movie
                                          industry likes to take credit for more than they do...and are dis-
                                          inclined to give even a bone or two to those who they consider
                                          outside their world...even if they did the actual work...
                                          Jaap (Yumi) knew what he was doing, is does not feel slighted
                                          in any way...he has bigger projects in the works than a hollywood
                                          samurai movie with white guys in it...
                                          Baka Gaijin...
                                          He just returned from China, where he did the opening
                                          ceremonies for the International Asian Archery Festival...I can get
                                          you the URLs if you like... (now he can start on my shigeto-
                                          yumi...hehehe...)

                                          Date Saburou Yukiie
                                          Yama Kaminari Ryu
                                          Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                            It's not just confined to the movies. A couple of years back, Emeril did a show on Medieval cooking. To begin with, some of what he did was Victorian rather than Medieval. But worst of all, the stuff that he did that was period came from Master Cariadoc's web site. I believe that Cariadoc has the information copyrighted, but that didn't stop Emeril. And...he didn't even have the decency to credit David Friedman (Master Cariadoc)! I believe David contacted the producers of the show about this, but don't know what the outcome was.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003

                                              >It's not just confined to the movies. A couple of years back,
                                              >Emeril did a show on Medieval cooking. To begin with, some of what
                                              >he did was Victorian rather than Medieval. But worst of all, the
                                              >stuff that he did that was period came from Master Cariadoc's web
                                              >site. I believe that Cariadoc has the information copyrighted, but
                                              >that didn't stop Emeril. And...he didn't even have the decency to
                                              >credit David Friedman (Master Cariadoc)! I believe David contacted
                                              >the producers of the show about this, but don't know what the
                                              >outcome was.

                                              By and large, recipes can not be copyrighted. They have special treatment
                                              under U.S. copyright law. Further, information can not be copyrighted. What
                                              is copyrighted is expression in tangible form. However, failure to attest
                                              sources is considered a sin against scholarship.

                                              What can be copyrighted? Potentially the exact wording of the procedure for
                                              the preparing the recipe, but not the list of ingredients. You can copyright
                                              analysis, commentary, and discussions of origin.

                                              (Ref) The Recpie Writer's Handbook and Kirsh's Handbook of Publishing Law.

                                            • Elaine Koogler
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                                I understand...but the point was that Emeril used work done by another without bothering to credit him for the usage. It is actually more a matter of ethics, in all probability, than law...though I suspect that, David Friedman being experienced in law, if there was anything that could be done, he did it!

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                                                  Konnichi wa,
                                                  As a functional photographer, fine and graphic artist, I am big on
                                                  copyright...
                                                  ( http://www.copyright.gov ) and I enjoy doing artwork that people can
                                                  see. What else is the point, if people don't see it...but I realy do
                                                  believe ethically that people should credit their sources.
                                                  For the production crew to say "their" prop department did the
                                                  work...that is problematical - By contract, Jaap technically did work
                                                  for them...but the facts were distorted when they reported their
                                                  numbers...and it made it seem that it was an in-house crew that did
                                                  the work, rather than hired-out professional labour.
                                                  Plus, movie props are not made just like the real things - resin
                                                  quivers are not like real ones...
                                                  Is Jaap's work copyrightable? Why, to a degree, yes...
                                                  He makes production yumi for the world. A bow, by and large, is
                                                  already common domain, but his technique is protected, and the actual
                                                  work he did should be credited to him. Jaap obviously did not invent
                                                  the yumi...but he learned from a very good historical liniage, and his
                                                  particular personal additions to the process are his alone...no one
                                                  can take credit for them.
                                                  But he did contract the bows he made to be used for the movie crew as
                                                  they say fit.

                                                  Will I still go see the movie...of course. Yumi is a big boy...I just
                                                  wish that the movie folk chose to give him some sort of credit. All I
                                                  can do as a friend and an ethical artist is to let people know who did
                                                  the real work. Jaap would do the same for me. We have known each other
                                                  long enough to feel comfortable in that...
                                                  Enough ranting...

                                                  Date Saburou Yukiie

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003

                                                    >I understand...but the point was that Emeril used work done by
                                                    >another without bothering to credit him for the usage. It is
                                                    >actually more a matter of ethics, in all probability, than
                                                    >law...though I suspect that, David Friedman being experienced in
                                                    >law, if there was anything that could be done, he did it!

                                                    I wrote that it is "a sin against scholarship". That is, they did a sholarly
                                                    NO-NO. They should be scolded and possibly discredited. However, they probably
                                                    did not violate copyright.

                                                    As for Yaap. He created what is known as a "work made for hire" and the
                                                    copyright belongs to the movie studio that hired him. Do I think that the
                                                    movie studio acted like scoundrels. Absolutely. After sitting through minuttes
                                                    of credits for a movie which include the names of each of the tutors for
                                                    child actors, the name of the catering service, the name of the legal services,
                                                    the names of historical consultants and dialect coaches, I do think that they
                                                    could have included Yaap among a list of "armourers" in the credits.

                                                  • klaus1526
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Dec 4, 2003
                                                      > I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject
                                                      matter...
                                                      > I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you
                                                      thought, but
                                                      > it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and
                                                      Sphere did.
                                                      > Ok, I'll stop now...
                                                      >
                                                      > Kagesue

                                                      Yeah, I thought Timeline was lacking in "soul". I was never engaged
                                                      in the movie and really didn't care about the characters. I did read
                                                      the book, and it was, as usual, far better than the movie.
                                                      It seems the Timeline was made for the 12-13yr olds and didn't have
                                                      good acting or dialogue. It was a disappointment.

                                                      KlausH