Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Another name to analyze

  • Mark Grass
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
      Effingham and Ii-dono

      I wasn't sure if sane would get changed in some form
      by being the second part. The sane I used was from
      your name section on your site Effingham-dono. So if
      it comes out as Nobuzane I'll understand and so will
      my cousin.
      I was wondering what the difference is between the
      zodiac sign (tatsu) and the dragon (ryu). When I asked
      about the use of Ryu in a name I was told that tatsu
      is a perfectly acceptable and less common substitute.
      Iwakawa no Arimasa
      > tatsushu wrote:
      >
      > >>Iwakawa Tatsujiro Nobusane
      > >>

      > > Looks good at first sight. I believe 'Tatsujiro'
      > can also be
      > > read 'Ryujiro' and I don't know if either one is
      > better--I would be
      > > tempted to pronounce it with the latter just
      > because the rest of the
      > > characters are read in on'yomi rather than
      > kun'yomi (which is
      > > the 'tatsu' reading) but I can't remember... I'm
      > sure someone else
      > > can give you more advice.
      >
      > Not necessarily. Tatsu and Ry� are different kanji
      > (usually, at any rate). When
      > one sees "tatsu" in a name, it's typically the
      > zodiac tatsu, rather than the
      > dragon "ry�" kanji.
      >
      > > I'm also not sure if it would be Nobusane or
      > Nobuzane or if it
      > > matters. I am thinking 'Nobusane' sounds right,
      > but 's' usually
      > > turns into a 'z' when it is the beginning of the
      > second character of
      > > a compound.
      >
      > I have to admit to also wanting to read this as
      > "Nobuzane." I'd like to know
      > which kanji are involved, of course, but I do think
      > "-zane" would be more
      > likely. (Certainly that's the way it's encountered
      > as I've seen it; viz. the
      > great artist Fujiwara no Nobuzane, and Shingen's
      > brother Takeda Nobuzane.)
      >
      > Effingham

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003

        >Iwakawa no Arimasa

        It is rather unlikely that you would be putting a -no- between
        Iwakawa and Arimasa. Japan is not Germany. -no- is not really
        quite the same thing as von- . The -no- names are most typically
        <uji> no <name>.

      • Mark Grass
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
          Sorry. Made a mistake reading one source or another.
          Don't remember which. Thanks for the update.
          Arimasa

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
            Greetings, all!

            I am officially back from my vacation, and trying to claw out of the blue funk
            that spending time in Miami always seems to engulf me in.

            Over the next few hours, I'll try to respond to a long accumulation of JML posts
            and other e-mails that made their way to my inbox.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
              Mark Grass wrote:
              > Effingham and Ii-dono
              >
              > I wasn't sure if sane would get changed in some form
              > by being the second part. The sane I used was from
              > your name section on your site Effingham-dono. So if
              > it comes out as Nobuzane I'll understand and so will
              > my cousin.

              Gotcha. "-zane" would be better, then.

              > I was wondering what the difference is between the
              > zodiac sign (tatsu) and the dragon (ryu). When I asked
              > about the use of Ryu in a name I was told that tatsu
              > is a perfectly acceptable and less common substitute.

              Well, they're just different characters, but they *mean* -- functionally -- the
              same thing. (Although one character means "dragon" the beast and the other means
              "dragon" the zodiac sign.)