Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 39

  • karl.j.jacobs@jci.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2000
      Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

      I didn't want to answer first on this one, but yes "How to Maker Your
      Own Japanese Clothes" is on my list of apparently useful, but actually
      harmful books.

      I reply:

      My knowledge of what books are useful and which appear useful, but are
      actually harmful is...limited, at best. I would prefer to avoid flaunting
      my
      ignorance in the future as I attempt to be of assistance to someone.
      Moreover, I would like to know what sources should be listed as
      "apparently useful, but actually harmful" so that I may avoid passing
      along incorrect information and perpetuating falsehood or
      misconception.

      Is the list you mentioned an actual or figurative list? If it is an acutal
      list,
      is there a way to obtain a copy of it? If figurative, would you be willing
      assist me by reading a list of titles that I have acquired and letting me
      know which are misleading or harmful?

      Kou no Toshikage
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2000

        It is a figurative list.

        However, it includes not just the clothing book already mentioned,
        but also Japanese Names by P.G. O'Neil. Further, I would not recomend
        Secrets of the Samurai (if I recall the title correctly) which I
        recently posted. There may be a wealth of modern martial arts material
        in the book, but simply reading the introduction suggests that the
        authors just don't get it. Further, poking through the book we come
        to their section on Sumo which is a form going back over a thousand
        years and which is given very short shrift in comparison to going gosh
        golly about some of the more fantastic claims of modern Japanese martial
        arts. I do not want to comment extensively on this book as that is
        properly the province of Baron Edward who has extensively studied
        Japanese martial stuff. Despite all of this, there is some pretty
        good stuff in this book. This just (in my opinion) makes it more
        dangerous as the authors do nothing to signal which section you are
        in and nowhere (to my recollection) make any protestations of
        modesty or limitation concerning their work.

        As for examining a list of titles acquired. Perhaps it should be
        submitted to the general discussion group. For that matter, composing
        a bibliography on things Japanese might be a worthy project.

        | techie.com |
      • Marc Choronzey
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2000
          Konichiwa All,

          Personaly, I would like to have the ISBN for "How to make your own japanese
          clothing" if at all possible...

          Domo.