Re: [SCA-JML] Re: clothing patterns

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000

      I didn't want to answer first on this one, but yes "How to Maker Your
      Own Japanese Clothes" is on my list of apparently useful, but actually
      harmful books. The whole notion of fitted clothing is essentially
      Western. This does not mean that the clothing simply hangs without
      regard for the body. Both Japanese and Turkish clothing is adjusted
      to the body by useing a system of ties. However, this does not imply
      an hour-glass silloette. Contemporary kimono are padded in a number
      of ways which change the silloette from that of the body to something
      rather different. Ideally, Tokugawa women looked somewhat reedlike.
      (Note. The Tokugawa period is post-period for us.)

      There are Japanese books out there from which Baron Edward is
      preparing a CA issue. If you wish to obtain the originals, they
      can be ordered on-line from kinokuniya or you can call one of
      their local stores and buy them through a local store. I prefer
      the web page, but you must be able to deal with Japanese on
      your computer to use it.

      | techie.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2000

        I promissed someone that I would try to help them during my visit to
        Toronto. Well, I am now in Toronto for the week. The number here is
        516-3571. Please call and ask for me. I am going to spend a couple of
        days at Fort Book as it is and would enjoy company for part of it.

        | techie.com, msn.com |