Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Re: Re: Re: Headstart?

  • michael A
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2003
      While I understand the comparision you are making, It
      didn't seem to me that their effect was nearly as
      strong the moniter's. I say this because based on what
      ive read the koreans had won a number of the
      engagments without the turtle being present or used in
      other cases.

      My impression for the reason for this is very similar
      to your analysis. Since the koreans ships were fast
      and had cannon for the most part they simply stayed at
      range and used the cannon to good effect since the
      japanese were lacking in that area. While im not a
      sailer the japanese naval tactics and strategy used in
      those battles seemed to leave a lot to be desired.
      They always seemed on step behind Yi. When combining
      that with the ship type as mentioned and lack of
      cannon, it is no wonder their superior numbers were
      not all that effective.

      Im sure the turtles were feared and by accounts quite
      effective. Though it is worth noting they were
      boardable as they needed the cabaility to sail and
      thus did have an exposed deck as well as the spiked
      main area(Thats what you get for being before your
      time).
      .....As a side note i know the top was iron clad with
      spikes, but i cant remember if the sides had plating.
      Not too important as the japnese lacked cannon, but
      does anyone recall the constrution of the sides?

      I just dont think they were the primary reason for
      the korean victories as many people seem to assume. It
      is often the new "toy" that gets the credit even when
      it not the real reason for the victory. They simply
      were not the quantum leap that made every other ship
      instantly outdated.

      --Kiyohara

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree