[SCA-JML] Re: Kimono Creation

  • akimoya
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 8, 1999
      On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > >PS: Is there a tradition of the joker/jester/fool in Japanese folklore?
      >
      > In a word, No.

      In a word - pooh!

      > The closest thing in folklore is occupied by the fox.

      Didn't they prefer human female form? I know I do (ba-da-bum!).

      > 4) If you are interested in being a power behind the throne, try
      > being Sen no Rikyu. (Sorry, the Society will not believe that
      > you are Sen no Rikyu, but you can be a similar super artsy type.)

      Is he the guy that developed the chanoyu?

      > 5) If you want to be a professional "life of the party", try being
      > Matsuo Basho or some other composer of salacious poetry.
      > Unfortunately, Matsuo Basho is post period (besides you can not
      > be him either), but ribald poetry is very much period.

      I have a book that I picked up called "Sexy Laughing Stories of Old
      Japan".

      > You can look into collections of ko'uta. You can even be something of
      > a song and dance man. You can accompany your salacious poems with
      > funny dances. (However, you can easily wind up being something of a
      > low life if you take this route.)

      And how would that be different from now, exactly?

      > Now then, can I possibly persuade you to call yourself Tarokaja?
      > (This is actually something of an in joke with Baron Edward. I'm
      > not convinced that anyone was ever called Tarokaja. Taro is
      > actually a very common name. The kaja part appears more titular
      > than nominal to me.)

      I don't get it.

      (Doesn't Taro mean "third son" or something of that nature?)

      Akimoya
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)