Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Sword stuff, was: Looking for patterns for Edo period Kamishimo

  • Bubba
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2003
      DP Gregersen wrote:
      > I'm not a botonist, but the urushi tree is a distant relation of
      > poison oak, and the sickness produces similar symptoms.

      From what I understand the two plants have the same poison. If that's the
      case it won't do anything to me at all. I can roll naked in poison ivy and
      nothing happens... well, the poison ivy and anyone watching might get upset
      ;)

      > Do be careful, but as long as you don't get it on yourself, you
      > should probably be ok. As far as importing it, it seems to be a
      > gray area. Paint is paint, most likely as far as customs is
      > concerned.

      There are places to get it domestically, but I've been doing a bit of
      reading and have found that there are better wearing things out there. Epoxy
      and automotive paint being very high on the list. Not period, but good for
      things that will actually be worn regularly.
      --
      Kagemasa
      mysticz28@...