Re: Ninja swords

  • Brian Cox
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 7, 2003
      Though I'm new to the group, I have had experience with hand forged
      live steel katana, so I'm replying to this thread. The mass produced
      aluminum alloyed blades are quite good at what they are designed to
      do- hang on your wall or sit in a stand and look pretty. There are
      even some that have a truer "soul". However, once you handle a real
      katana- one that has been hand made, folded blade, full tang- other
      swords pale. A good friend of mine and fellow martial artist had the
      great honor of studying with Obata-Sensei (Toshishiro) and was given
      a katana when he had to leave the school. My father, as well, was
      given a "real sword" by a Japanese martial artist and let me tell
      you, these blades are significantly different. I know I'm risking
      seeming like a sword snob, but man! There's a difference! The mass
      produced swords seem more like tools. I guess the major difference is
      that a hand made weapon is made specifically for one purpose- to cut
      enemies into tiny red bits. This reflects the mindset of a Samurai in
      combat. Mass produced swords lack this single mindedness. However, I
      will get philosophical in ending by saying that it is not the sword
      that is important, but the weilder.
      Sensei Cox

      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 11, 2003
        Bubba wrote:

        > I do believe that is grounds for a whoopin'. Want for me to go all Kill Bill
        > on 'er for ya? ;)

        Too late. Said person died years ago, and the items are long gone. Sigh.