Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 30

  • karl.j.jacobs@jci.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23 5:15 AM
      Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

      You must read very very fast. Regardless, you should read or have
      read Sansom's 3 volume history of Japan. You should also read
      Heavenly Warriors by Farris and just about anything by Jeffrey Mass.
      (If I recall his name correctly.) There is also an English
      translation of a French book about daily life in Japan the title
      and author of which elude me at the moment.

      Shameless plug. You should also have read my series of Pennsic
      class handouts. And there is my seriously unworthy pamphlet on
      Japanese names. Pot Boiler Press (aka Alban St. Albans) has a bunch of
      them.
      They are sold over-the-counter at Pennsic. That isn't exactly
      super available, but it is sort of available. I'm still meaning
      to send a bundle of them to someone whose address I have tucked
      away here somewhere.

      I reply:
      Reading fast? I'm not a speedreader, but I seem to do well enough. I am
      not familiar with Sansom's 3-volume history. Heavenly Warriors is one book
      I am fortunate enough to have and have read. There are a couple of books
      on daily life in Japan that were in small format and published by Tuttle -
      I have and have read both of them. Is there a way to mail-order copies of
      the class handouts? I will not be attending Pennsic this year.

      Yumitori-san wrote:
      That would be _Daily Life in Japan, at the time of the samurai,
      1185-1603_, by Louis Frederic. Most English language books on feudal
      Japan deal mostly with the samurai, obviously, but many have brief
      sections on what their daily lives were like. Try _Samurai, 1550-1600_,
      by Anthony Bryant, as well as others by him or Stephen Turnbull.

      You should also discuss the differences in Japanese role-playing
      settings, depending on era - Heian, Sengoku Jidai, Tokugawa bakufu, or
      other periods. Each time will have a very different atmosphere.

      I reply:
      Yes, that's one of the books I'm using as a basis for much of what I'm
      putting together. Another book which seemed quite detailed but wasn't
      quite as clear about dating things as I'd like is Secrets of the Samurai.
      The authors' names escape me at the moment, but I believe they also wrote
      Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere.

      I have three of the books that Effingham-dono wrote for Osprey Books. My
      local gaming store does not carry Sengoku, or I'd have that by now as well.

      I've been frustrated by the lack of availability of Stephen Turnbull's
      books in my local area. Several have gone out of print, to my dismay. I've
      managed to acquire Samurai Warfare, Samurai Warlords, The Lone Samurai,
      Book of the Samurai, and another that the title escapes me. I'm still
      looking for a copy of Samurai Warriors - it's one of the few books that
      I've found with information on sohei.

      Most of the interest in the gaming industry for historical Japan seems to
      skip over the Heian period and end sometime in the Tokugawa period, so
      that's what I was going to try to focus on. Part of my difficulty is
      gaining an understanding of what would be most helpful to the audience and
      what they are not as likely to gain by doing the reading themselves - what
      can I bring to the class that will be most helpful?

      I would like to assemble a reading list to hand out along with a list
      (hopefully with answers) of the persona development questions from Stefan's
      Florilegium.

      Arigato gozaimasu,
      Kou no Toshikage