Re: Titles

  • starscrossing
    Message 1 of 92 , Nov 5, 2003
      Just wondering (and on the list of things I generally find
      fascinating) has anyone put together a list of period appropriate
      titles, by era with Imperial and other (Bakufu? non-nobility? - I
      don't want to use the wrong word here) titles?

      Such a list could be useful to a person wanting quick starting point
      reference to come up with what might be an appropriate title for his
      or her persona based on time period and persona class - rather than
      just taking a title from any of the lists and using it without regard
      to appropriateness or historical accuracy. I don't believe this
      should be an "Official SCA List," just a listing of various period
      titles by era.

      Not sure what to do for the few people who keep commoner personas if
      they get awards, but I've never quite figured out what to do about
      that, anyway. It's equally as problematic for the noble person who
      hasn't yet gotten an AoA, and so can't be introduced as "Lady"
      or "Lord" yet (insert culturally appropriate titles, of course).

      The reason I ask is it might go on my "to do after I start to learn
      Japanese" list, meaning at least a two year wait before the project
      has any hope of being started.

      Fujiwara no Kitsume

      > Noble Cousins!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! I prefer using "bushou" (lit. military
      general) for
      > knight. Bushou is a word one frequently encounters in Japanese
      histories
      > and biographies relating to the Kamakura and Muromachi periods.
      Baron Edward
      > prefers a different word. For that matter, he generally advocates
      imperial
      > ritsuryo titles while I tend to prefer Kamakura bakufu titles. Such
      is life.

      > As for the Official Alternate Titles List. These titles are totally
      post
      > period. They were invented following the Meiji Restoration in the
      nineteenth
      > century so that Japanese titles of nobility would directly
      correspond to
      > nineteenth century European and especially British titles of
      nobility. BLEH!

      > As for proposing Baron Edward's title system to Laurel. I am
      opposed to it.
      > I am also opposed to proposing my title recommendations. I want the
      Alternate
      > Title List abolished. It is another example of College of Arms
      Beurocracy
      > defeating scholarship. The reality is that there is over a thousand
      years
      > of Japanese history and there are several reaonable equivalents
      none of which
      > are on that list. I think that this is almost certainly an endemic
      problem
      > with the list even for Western European titles. For example. Duke
      is an
      > ancient title which was originally a Roman military title. It may
      be the
      > oldest title in use in the main-line title system.
      > --
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar
      >
      > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
      ---+
      > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM,
      CoS |
      > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
      Est |
      > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:bnostran@l... |
      > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
      ---+
      > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
      to |
      > | the trash by my email
      filters. |
      > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
      ---+
    • Ichikawa Masako(S. Jordan)
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2004
        Oh my WAAY down in Southern Ansteorra, but yes the food is wonderful
        =) Seems to be down near the Brownsville area if memory serves. I
        echo Masamune-dono's words, we would love and be honored to have you
        in Ansteorra!

        In Service,
        Masako

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
        wrote:
        > RavenRux@C... wrote:
        >
        > > I don't know where that is, but if it is in Ansteorra, We would
        love having you in our Kingdom.