Re: [SCA-JML] March of the Rising Sun

  • Alcyoneus
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2003
      That's why we scheduled it for 4/3 instead of 3/27... ;-)

      Alcyoneus

      At 11:00 AM 11/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:

      >At 09:31 AM 11/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      > >It is 1592, and Japan is invading Korea...
      > >
      > >We are planning on having a Japanese themed event in Vatavia (Wichita KS)
      > >on April 3, 2004. I haven't been to the site yet, but I'm told there is a
      > >tunnel that is 6' tall that we will be able to fight it. There will be
      > >several fighting scenarios, and we will be having some Mongols pose as
      > >Koreans. This should present interesting difficulties. Feast will have
      > >Japanese ingredients and condiments, feasters will bring their own dead
      > >animal parts for us to cook. More details will be provide as the date
      > >approaches, and our autocrats flesh out the event.
      >
      >Cooool! We might be able to attend this one, since it doesn't conflict
      >with any of the planned Iowegian events! 11 hours is a bit of a drive, but
      >we've done it before....
      >
      >Ki no Torahime
      >
      >aka Tace of Foxele

      >---
      >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

    • Park McKellop
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 10, 2004
        Masako, here is the info you asked for, if you need anything else, just ask. Right now, and for the much of the past year, we haven't had a functioning website, but that should be corrected soon (officer change).

        Alcyoneus, kami-no-Vatavia

        MARCH OF THE RISING SUN
        Japan Invades Korea

        Hosted by The Barony of Vatavia
        April 3, 2004
        1st Presbyterian Church Camp
        9601 W. 73rd North, Wichita KS

        Site opens at 8:00 AM, closes at 9:00 PM

        Come join us for the Japanese Invasion of the Korean Peninsula in 1592.

        Fighting: Spear Tournament, Warlord Tournament, melees and
        authorizations.
        Inspections begin at 9:30 AM. Best Seppuku to be judged.

        Archery: Archery shoots will be held.

        Best Seppuku in any Medium to be judged.

        Art and Sciences Competitions: Best Japanese or Korean in any Medium
        (Populace Choice), Best-Dressed Japanese and Korean Person
        (Fighting and Non-fighting).

        Bardic Competition: Best Haiku

        Feast: Bring your own meat, the Barony will provide Sushi, soup, rice
        and
        tea.

        Court at Their Majesties� pleasure.

        Merchants are welcome.

        Site Details: Site is dry. Site Fee is $10 ($3 Non-Member Surcharge),
        Feast
        $3. Checks payable to �SCA Inc � Barony of Vatavia�

        Directions: Take best route to I-135 in Wichita. Follow I-135 to the
        north
        edge of Wichita, to K-96 west. Continue on K-96 to Ridge Road. Take
        Ridge
        Road north to 73rd St. North. Turn left on 73rd St. Look for SCA signs
        and
        the 1st Presbyterian Family Camp.

        Event Stewards:
        Lady Elspeth Lillian of York (Anna Lenhart)
        2728 S. Magnolia, Wichita, KS 67217
        316-204-0564

        Lady Ida Lundy (Ida Purkey)
        1002 Coolidge, Wichita, KS 67203
        316-871-2370

        Feast Steward:
        Lord Leonardo De Calamari (Dean Day)
        9503 S. Hydraulic, Haysville, KS 67060
        316-788-6165

        Crash Space Coordinator:
        Lord Leonhard (Jim Purkey)
        1002 Coolidge, Wichita, KS 67203
        316-871-2370

      • Ichikawa Masako(S. Jordan)
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 10, 2004
          Doumo arigato =)
          I take it this is just a day event? Or is there camping space?
          Thank you again for posting the info =) I understand completely on
          the officer change, we've had the same problem on occasion *G*

          Masako
          Barony of the Eldern Hills
          Ansteorra

        • Park McKellop
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 10, 2004
            It's mostly just a day event, but there is a crash space coordinator. Why don't you grab Daffyd and Octavia, and bring them as well? :-) Those are the Eldern Hills folks I know the best. I met your previous Baroness, and she seemed pretty nice.

            Now that I know where you're at...

            Feel free to post the flyer on the Northern list, actually, please post it for me, since I'm not on it.

            Alcyoneus

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10, 2004
              Her Excellancy Catrin was great fun, and I miss her very much, she
              has heard the call of Uncle Sam again and is leaving for Germany at
              the end of the month,and is in the Dallas area now so i dont get to
              see her as often as id like. Daffyd and Octavia are actually in Brad
              Leah (down in Wichita Falls, TX) but I'll get the flyer info posted
              for you tomorrow sometime =)

              Masako

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 12, 2004
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@b...> wrote:

                > Alcyoneus, kami-no-Vatavia

                Linguistic "heads up" -- this means "Vatavia of the gods" -- you want
                "Vatavia-no-kami" (okay, "Batabia no kami" <G>)

                > MARCH OF THE RISING SUN

                You know, this sounds like fun. I think I might try to make it. It's
                not much farther than Pennsic.

                Effingham
              • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 12, 2004
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Alcyoneus <squire009@b...> wrote:
                  > It is 1592, and Japan is invading Korea...

                  Amida-butsu and all present, please forgive me

                  To paraphrase a recent event announcement

                  Our feast will have
                  Japanese ingredients
                  Bring out your dead
                  Animal parts for us to cook
                  As our autocrats flesh out the event

                  Otagiri
                • Choronzey, Marc
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 12, 2004
                    hehehehehehe.

                    Humor in tanka
                    Inspired by next event
                    Mirth and merriment
                    Double intent; make us groan
                    And dirty marketing ploy.

                    ** GRIN ** so sorry, I couldnt resist.

                    -Shisen.

                    -Marc Choronzey
                    OFA, Bell Mobility, Montreal.

                    Work: 866.625.5551 # 3007
                    Page : 514.414.0907
                    Cell : 514.917.4764

                  • Gary Williams
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 12, 2004
                      Does anyone know of a website with referances to japanese kamon? specificaly kamon featuring the crane? i am starting to look into a device/kamon and want it to feature the crane, but i am having a devil of a time finding period examples of how the crane was portrayed.

                      Recomendations of books would also be acceptable, but monetary concerns limit my ability to get books.

                      Cristen Fynlo (mka Gary Williams)

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 13, 2004
                        > > Alcyoneus, kami-no-Vatavia
                        >
                        > Linguistic "heads up" -- this means "Vatavia of the gods" -- you
                        want
                        > "Vatavia-no-kami" (okay, "Batabia no kami" <G>)

                        You aren't from around here, are you? ;-) We see sky deities here
                        everyday! Some are compassionate and help people in need very
                        often. Others, are wrathful sky deities, and strike down the wicked
                        in very forceful ways. Chief among these are the Beewanbee "Rancer",
                        and Beefivetwo. Other sky deities feed the wrathful deities while
                        they fly, so that they can punish the evildoers without stopping.
                        These are known as Kayseeonethreefives. ;-)

                        > > MARCH OF THE RISING SUN
                        >
                        > You know, this sounds like fun. I think I might try to make it. It's
                        > not much farther than Pennsic.
                        >
                        > Effingham

                        That would be really cool.

                        Alcyoneus
                      • Tim Adams
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 13, 2004
                          >Chief among these are the Beewanbee "Rancer",
                          >and Beefivetwo.
                          I use to serve the Beefivetwo, it is a wrathfull Kami.
                          whose thunder can rumble for a long time.

                          Tetsuki

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 31, 2004
                            There was an error in the flier that was sent into the Mews, no separate site fees were listed for children.

                            This was a mistake. Children 12 and under are free, and children 13-17 are only $5. Our Minister of Children, Ly Ida, has 8-10 activities planned for kids, and we really want them to come.

                            Thanks,

                            Alcyoneus

                          • Park McKellop
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 5, 2004
                              >Doumo arigato gozaimasu !! You all made the group of us from
                              Ansteorra feel VERY welcome. I know my husband enjoyed the archery
                              shoot ALOT =) I really regret that we were not able to stay for
                              feast and court. Please if you will pass on to the autocrat that we
                              did indeed find the store and found the hats ! I can finally get my
                              veiled travel hat done =)

                              In Service
                              Ichikawa no Masako

                              Thank you for coming, and thank you for shooting so many dogs. The Koreans and Mongols were very happy that they were able to cook their traditional dish of Bul-doggy, it was very tasty!

                              I wish I'd been able to wear my kamishimo, I search everywhere in the house for it, but couldn't find it. Apparently, I'd loaned it to someone to use for as a pattern quite a few months ago, and he hadn't returned it. He knew he had it, and thought about bringing it Saturday, but decided not to... :-I

                              I'm glad you enjoyed the archery. Our archers work hard to have more imaginative shoots, and more of them, so that people will get in more shooting than they can shake a stick at.

                              Alcyoneus