Re: Sword stuff, was: Looking for patterns for Edo period Kamishimo

  • DP Gregersen
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
      I'm not a botonist, but the urushi tree is a distant relation of
      poison oak, and the sickness produces similar symptoms.

      Just as some people are affected more by poison oak than others, it
      would seem to be the same with urushi. Artisans who work with the
      stuff regularly do develop a tolerance. I saw a video once of
      someone smearing it on with fingers with no ill effects.

      Do be careful, but as long as you don't get it on yourself, you
      should probably be ok. As far as importing it, it seems to be a
      gray area. Paint is paint, most likely as far as customs is
      concerned.

      > The few times I've messed with the real thing (ok, once ;) I'm
      apparently
      > not affected by it much. No more than working with carbon fiber.
      There are a
      > whole lot more dangerous things in my garage than lacquer. Methlyene
      > chloride comes to mind ;)

    • Bubba
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7, 2003
        DP Gregersen wrote:
        > I'm not a botonist, but the urushi tree is a distant relation of
        > poison oak, and the sickness produces similar symptoms.

        From what I understand the two plants have the same poison. If that's the
        case it won't do anything to me at all. I can roll naked in poison ivy and
        nothing happens... well, the poison ivy and anyone watching might get upset
        ;)

        > Do be careful, but as long as you don't get it on yourself, you
        > should probably be ok. As far as importing it, it seems to be a
        > gray area. Paint is paint, most likely as far as customs is
        > concerned.

        There are places to get it domestically, but I've been doing a bit of
        reading and have found that there are better wearing things out there. Epoxy
        and automotive paint being very high on the list. Not period, but good for
        things that will actually be worn regularly.
        --
        Kagemasa
        mysticz28@...