Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Ninja swords

  • Bubba
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 3, 2003
      Solveig wrote:

      > Greetings from Solveig! Last I heard, Iaidou is practiced with special
      > swords which are not quite real. They are still quite dangerous.

      Beginners start with boken, then you move to iaito, which are basically
      chromed aluminum blades mounted in good hardware, and very advanced students
      can use sharp steel.

      > I am
      > suggesting kendou practice which does not involve waving anything more
      > dangerous than a wooden stick. Further, I was thinking that things
      > should be limited to shinai.

      Boken would be better. They handle more like real swords than shinai.
      However, neither handle like iaito or live steel. There's a massive
      difference between swinging a boken and the real thing. From things as
      simple as the feel of the tsukaito and same to the way the blade torques as
      it moves through the air.
      --
      Kagemasa
      mysticz28@...
      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 11, 2003
        Bubba wrote:

        > I do believe that is grounds for a whoopin'. Want for me to go all Kill Bill
        > on 'er for ya? ;)

        Too late. Said person died years ago, and the items are long gone. Sigh.