Re: Sword stuff, was: Looking for patterns for Edo period Kamishimo

  • DP Gregersen
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
      On the subject,

      Real urushi can be mail ordered. Altho not cheap and it's toxic as
      has been noted:

      http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp

      http://www.japanese-swords.com/

      http:://www.aquastoneinc.com/

      Some people use cashew (Japanese urushi-like synthetic).
      Some people like the result using automobile paint.

      Pretty good step by step of making a saya, if contemplating such a
      project,

      http://www.sayashi.com

      or read the book "Craft of the Japanese Sword"
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! I can tell you where to buy lacquer in the Tokyo
        area. (It's a very large craft store complex in Kamata.) They may even do
        mail order. I don't know whether U.S. customs will be particularly happy
        about letting it in. As for appearance. I you are familiar with real
        lacquer, then the difference can be quite apparent.

      • Bubba
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
          Solveig wrote:

          > Greetings from Solveig! I can tell you where to buy lacquer in the
          > Tokyo area. (It's a very large craft store complex in Kamata.) They
          > may even do mail order. I don't know whether U.S. customs will be
          > particularly happy about letting it in. As for appearance. I you are
          > familiar with real lacquer, then the difference can be quite apparent.

          The few times I've messed with the real thing (ok, once ;) I'm apparently
          not affected by it much. No more than working with carbon fiber. There are a
          whole lot more dangerous things in my garage than lacquer. Methlyene
          chloride comes to mind ;)

          That said, I prefer using epoxy based paint instead of lacquer since it's
          very humid in this part of Ansteorra and epoxy is waterproof. Also easier to
          match it if you ever have to fix it (not likely).
          --
          Kagemasa
          mysticz28@...
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
            I'm not a botonist, but the urushi tree is a distant relation of
            poison oak, and the sickness produces similar symptoms.

            Just as some people are affected more by poison oak than others, it
            would seem to be the same with urushi. Artisans who work with the
            stuff regularly do develop a tolerance. I saw a video once of
            someone smearing it on with fingers with no ill effects.

            Do be careful, but as long as you don't get it on yourself, you
            should probably be ok. As far as importing it, it seems to be a
            gray area. Paint is paint, most likely as far as customs is
            concerned.

            > The few times I've messed with the real thing (ok, once ;) I'm
            apparently
            > not affected by it much. No more than working with carbon fiber.
            There are a
            > whole lot more dangerous things in my garage than lacquer. Methlyene
            > chloride comes to mind ;)

          • Bubba
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2003
              DP Gregersen wrote:
              > I'm not a botonist, but the urushi tree is a distant relation of
              > poison oak, and the sickness produces similar symptoms.

              From what I understand the two plants have the same poison. If that's the
              case it won't do anything to me at all. I can roll naked in poison ivy and
              nothing happens... well, the poison ivy and anyone watching might get upset
              ;)

              > Do be careful, but as long as you don't get it on yourself, you
              > should probably be ok. As far as importing it, it seems to be a
              > gray area. Paint is paint, most likely as far as customs is
              > concerned.

              There are places to get it domestically, but I've been doing a bit of
              reading and have found that there are better wearing things out there. Epoxy
              and automotive paint being very high on the list. Not period, but good for
              things that will actually be worn regularly.
              --
              Kagemasa
              mysticz28@...