Re: Ninja swords

  • chagin1
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 3, 2003
      >...Greetings from Solveig!

      Good day, m'lady.

      >... I am told that the left hand is supposed to "throw"
      > the blade rather loosely basically letting the blade drop...

      This is not quite completely true, I think. There are 2 major methods in the sword: one derived from (what evolved into the) itto-ryu style schools and one from shinkage (and allied) style schools. The methods of sword movement are radically different. Kendo (modern) is an itto-ryu method in general. The shinkage sword is not the same, but it is difficult to discribe in text.

      > daily kendo & iai practices at Pennsic. It would have to be treated as an
      > arts and sciences activity to avoid the marshals. It would probably be best
      > to hold it in a private camp...

      I have trained in both soshoryu iaido (see http://www.aikido-iaido.com/sosho.html) and Tamoya-ryu iai-jutsu (see http://jbull.home.texas.net/biography.html). Teaching "live blade" would have to fall under the problems of any "real" weapons work. Waving around 3 foot razor blades is not for the weak of mind or the litiginous.

      - Takanofuji Jutte (aka Seamus)
      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 11, 2003
        Bubba wrote:

        > I do believe that is grounds for a whoopin'. Want for me to go all Kill Bill
        > on 'er for ya? ;)

        Too late. Said person died years ago, and the items are long gone. Sigh.