[SCA-JML] Re: Kimono Creation

    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 8, 1999
      akimoya wrote:

      > PS: Is there a tradition of the joker/jester/fool in Japanese folklore?

      Not that I've seen clear reference to. Despite the inclusion of Peter in the
      role of Zen'ami in "Ran," there don't seem to have been any such class of
      retainer or entertainer in historical Japan.

      You could consider the concept of a village idiot, however. (I'm still trying
      to find someone who'll use the name Tarokaja... <G>)

      Effingham
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)