Educating the Public

  • karl.j.jacobs@jci.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 22, 2000
      Greetings to all from Kou no Toshikage,

      The barony where I live also happens to be the location for GenCon, a major
      convention for people interested in wargaming, role playing games, and
      similar mundane diversions. This year, the barony has been asked to take
      part in GenCon on Friday. Besides walking around to add to the atmosphere,
      we've been given a table for displaying information and been asked to teach
      a few classes on things historical that would help roleplayers add to
      their games
      and characters. I'm one of the folks who our seneschal and Baroness turned
      and looked at pointedly when teaching a class was mentioned.

      Not wanting to disappoint, I agreed, although I've not taught a class to
      such a
      potentially large audience, in such a setting, and covering such a broad
      range of topics. Knowing that there are many gentles of far greater
      knowledge
      and authority on these lists, I would ask for suggestions.

      Here is my proposal, which was included in the on-site booklet:

      Class title: "I Think I'm Turning Japanese"
      Time Slot: Friday 10-11 AM or 11-12 AM
      Duration: 1 hour (15 min setup, 45 min class)
      Class Size: 20 (up to 40 can be accomodated if notified ahead of time)

      to make adaptions for roleplaying and LARPs. Topics
      addressed may include food, clothing, armor, weapons,
      social structure, etiquette, education & training of samurai,
      arts, and religion. Format will include seminar and roundtable
      discussion portions.

      I have but a single book-case on things Japanese and would be interested in
      suggestions for texts I might want to read in preparation for this class.
      My thanks in advance.
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 11 , May 22, 2000

        You must read very very fast. Regardless, you should read or have
        read Sansom's 3 volume history of Japan. You should also read
        Heavenly Warriors by Farris and just about anything by Jeffrey Mass.
        (If I recall his name correctly.) There is also an English
        translation of a French book about daily life in Japan the title
        and author of which elude me at the moment.

        Shameless plug. You should also have read my series of Pennsic
        class handouts. And there is my seriously unworthy pamphlet on
        Japanese names.

        | techie.com |
      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 11 , May 22, 2000
          > Here is my proposal, which was included in the on-site booklet:
          >
          > Class title: "I Think I'm Turning Japanese"
          > Time Slot: Friday 10-11 AM or 11-12 AM
          > Duration: 1 hour (15 min setup, 45 min class)
          > Class Size: 20 (up to 40 can be accomodated if notified ahead of time)

          > to make adaptions for roleplaying and LARPs. Topics
          > addressed may include food, clothing, armor, weapons,
          > social structure, etiquette, education & training of samurai,
          > arts, and religion. Format will include seminar and roundtable
          > discussion portions.
          >
          > I have but a single book-case on things Japanese and would be interested in
          > suggestions for texts I might want to read in preparation for this class.
          > My thanks in advance.

          Unfortunately, I believe that Edward-dono is in Japan currently. He
          would be the ideal one to advise you. Still, we'll do what we can. I
          second Solveig-sensei's comment that you're going to read a great deal.
          Try this link, for the bibliography from Sengoku
          (<http://www.sengoku.com/bibl.html>). Many of these books are available
          from Amazon or, more cheaply, through ILL.

          > You must read very very fast. Regardless, you should read or have
          > read Sansom's 3 volume history of Japan. You should also read
          > Heavenly Warriors by Farris and just about anything by Jeffrey Mass.
          > (If I recall his name correctly.) There is also an English
          > translation of a French book about daily life in Japan the title
          > and author of which elude me at the moment.

          That would be _Daily Life in Japan, at the time of the samurai,
          1185-1603_, by Louis Frederic. Most English language books on feudal
          Japan deal mostly with the samurai, obviously, but many have brief
          sections on what their daily lives were like. Try _Samurai, 1550-1600_,
          by Anthony Bryant, as well as others by him or Stephen Turnbull.

          You should also discuss the differences in Japanese role-playing
          settings, depending on era - Heian, Sengoku Jidai, Tokugawa bakufu, or
          other periods. Each time will have a very different atmosphere.

          > Shameless plug. You should also have read my series of Pennsic
          > class handouts. And there is my seriously unworthy pamphlet on
          > Japanese names.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          Are your handouts readily available anywhere?

          Yumitori

          --
          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com - Ask me how to get paid for surfing the
          Internet.
          Message 4 of 11 , May 22, 2000

            > Are your handouts readily available anywhere?
            >
            > Yumitori

            Well, Pot Boiler Press (aka Alban St. Albans) has a bunch of them.
            They are sold over-the-counter at Pennsic. That isn't exactly
            super available, but it is sort of available. I'm still meaning
            to send a bundle of them to someone whose address I have tucked
            away here somewhere.

            Unfortunately, the editor of Complete Anachronist rejected the
            notion of publishing a collection of my handouts. I just don't
            do well with editors. The CA editor at the time that I was
            working on my infamous name pamphlet rejected the idea of
            pulbishing that one as well. (This was back when I honestly
            thought that my pamphlet would physically fit into a CA issue.)

            | techie.com |
          • Ron Martino
            Message 5 of 11 , May 22, 2000
              > Well, Pot Boiler Press (aka Alban St. Albans) has a bunch of them.
              > They are sold over-the-counter at Pennsic. That isn't exactly
              > super available, but it is sort of available. I'm still meaning
              > to send a bundle of them to someone whose address I have tucked
              > away here somewhere.

              While Potboiler is a potentially wonderful source of SCA-related
              publications, they are only available to many of us if we can make
              Pennsic. In this specific case, GenCon is before the War, and so that
              source is not very useful.

              What about putting them in the file area of this mailing list? There's
              space available.

              > Unfortunately, the editor of Complete Anachronist rejected the
              > notion of publishing a collection of my handouts. I just don't
              > do well with editors. The CA editor at the time that I was
              > working on my infamous name pamphlet rejected the idea of
              > pulbishing that one as well. (This was back when I honestly
              > thought that my pamphlet would physically fit into a CA issue.)
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar

              You could always try again. Editors do change, and so do opinions.
              Still, with Edward-dono's impending publications, there probably won't
              be much interest in further Japanese topics for CAs in the near
              future...

              Yumitori

              Message 6 of 11 , May 22, 2000

                They are typeset and illustrated, I could try converting them to pdf
                files, but they would tend to be kind of big.

                | techie.com |
                Message 7 of 11 , May 22, 2000
                  > They are typeset and illustrated, I could try converting them to pdf
                  > files, but they would tend to be kind of big.
                  >
                  > Your Humble Servant
                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                  > Amateur Scholar

                  We've got the space. I don't think our illustrious list owner would
                  object to their presence, especially considering that we don't have
                  anything in the file area at the moment.

                  Yumitori

                  --
                • bambooni@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 23, 2000
                    In a message dated 5/23/00 12:32:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    yumitori@... writes:

                    > We've got the space. I don't think our illustrious list owner would
                    > object to their presence, especially considering that we don't have
                    > anything in the file area at the moment.
                    >
                    > Yumitori

                    I was thinking about this while at work today. And what I'd like to see in
                    our file area are maybe pictures of everybody on the list. So at least we can
                    know what everybody looks like. What does everyone think of this?????

                    Takabayashi Genpachi
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 23, 2000

                      You really do not wish to know what I look like do you? For one thing,
                      I am hideously ugly.

                      | techie.com |
                    • Kass McGann
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 24, 2000
                        > I was thinking about this while at work today. And what I'd like to
                        see in
                        > our file area are maybe pictures of everybody on the list. So at
                        least we can
                        > know what everybody looks like. What does everyone think of
                        this?????

                        Takabayashi-dono,

                        I, for one, am all for it!

                        Fujiwara no Aoi
                      • Ron Martino
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 24, 2000
                          > You really do not wish to know what I look like do you? For one thing,
                          > I am hideously ugly.
                          >
                          > Your Humble Servant
                          > Solveig Throndardottir
                          > Amateur Scholar

                          While humility is a valued trait in Japan, this is perhaps taking it
                          too far. I know Solveig-sensei personally, and would never consider her
                          ugly, hideously so or otherwise...