Re: Ninja swords

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 55 , Oct 30, 2003
      Preface: It's about ninja's, more silliness published about them than the Trilateral Commission ;)

      From: "Bubba" <mysticz28@...>

      > Perhaps you can answer this. Who, exactly, was the genius that straightened
      out a katana and called it a ninja sword?

      They've been around for a while, like 1,500 years or so, the original Japanese swords were straight!

      > Japanese swords are built to slice, not hack, and have to be moving inline
      with the blade to do that. Straight swords are horrible for this.

      Some weapons are not built to their optimum, look at the Indian push dagger. Also some Western sabres are straight, so maybe it's not that big a deal. I've only chopped bamboo with a katana, so I don't have any idea about what the results would be except that a sharp straight machete worked about the same way.

      > Unless you go very far out of your way to do it a differentially tempered
      single edged blade will curve away from the edge. No way around it.

      True! But this can be adjusted for.

      > Just curious. There's next to no information about ninja swords in any book
      I've ever read (other than fiction) and, due to the reasons above and
      others, I somewhat doubt they existed before Hollywood and Japan's
      equivilant came up with them.
      Quite possible, 99% of ninja material is nonsense ;) The chanbara folk
      have loved these goodies as props since at least the 50's! Jim Eckman
      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 11, 2003
        Bubba wrote:

        > I do believe that is grounds for a whoopin'. Want for me to go all Kill Bill
        > on 'er for ya? ;)

        Too late. Said person died years ago, and the items are long gone. Sigh.