Re: [SCA-JML] Shinobi v. Samurai

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 8 , May 21, 2000
      Baron Edward!

      >> Refresh my memory. Who were the 'samurai' who went about with baskets on
      >> there heads, playing shakuhachi, who were regarded as 'spies'? OR did I
      >> misinterpret the description?
      >
      >Those weren't samurai. They were Buddhist monks, called komuso.

      More accurately, they were supposed to be Buddhist monks. That particular
      group is pretty famous for having included spies. Whether or not all of
      those folks with the basket over their head were really nyuudou or not
      is a matter of conjector. I would hazard that at least some of them were
      not.

      Now then. Is this particular group of interest for the Society? As I
      recall, this group is known for being employed by the Tokugawa bakufu
      which makes them post period.

      As for ninja. The thing to remember about the buke is that it was
      a hereditary caste and not a specific job. Certain jobs held more
      prestige than others. The word "samurai" as I recall is derived
      from the earlier word "saburau" which pretty much means "to serve"
      and refered to certain female attendants in the Heian court.
      Regardless of etymology, the esstential fact is that being a
      "samurai" is orthogonal to engaging in ninja activities.

      As for hollywood, my impression is that Tokyo film studies such as
      Toei were making ninja movies a long time before hollywood ever
      heard of them.

      Finnaly. Ninja Hatori Kun is one of my favourite kid's comics.
      Nin nin!

      | techie.com |