[SCA-JML] Re: Kimono Creation

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 7, 1999

      >PS: Is there a tradition of the joker/jester/fool in Japanese folklore?

      In a word, No. The closest thing in folklore is occupied by the fox.
      The fox is an enchanted creature which can take human form. As for a
      buffoon. 16c Kyogen makes great fun of the yamabushi, but they were
      not jokers, jesters or fools. They may have charlatains, but that is
      another matter.

      1) If you are looking for things funny, then try kyogen (there was
      a kyogen workshop at Pennsic last Summer.) There is also rakugo,
      but that is a bit more obstruse than kyogen. Besides, I do not
      know how old rakugo is. (Kyogen are short comic plays. Rakugo
      is sit down comedy. <The comic sits on a zabuton while delivering
      his monologue.)

      2) If you are looking for stunts and what not (juggling, bouncing
      around on a pogo stick, tightrope walking, that sort of thing),
      try Sarugaku.

      3) If you are looking to be a personal retainer of some sort, then
      think about being a page.

      4) If you are interested in being a power behind the throne, try
      being Sen no Rikyu. (Sorry, the Society will not believe that
      you are Sen no Rikyu, but you can be a similar super artsy type.)

      5) If you want to be a professional "life of the party", try being
      Matsuo Basho or some other composer of salacious poetry.
      Unfortunately, Matsuo Basho is post period (besides you can not
      be him either), but ribald poetry is very much period. You can
      look into collections of ko'uta. You can even be something of
      a song and dance man. You can accompany your salacious poems
      with funny dances. (However, you can easily wind up being
      something of a low life if you take this route.)

      Now then, can I possibly persuade you to call yourself Tarokaja?
      (This is actually something of an in joke with Baron Edward. I'm
      not convinced that anyone was ever called Tarokaja. Taro is
      actually a very common name. The kaja part appears more titular
      than nominal to me.)

      | techie.com |
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)