Re: [SCA-JML] "Arigatou"

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2000
      > I looked up Arigatou and Obrigado together and found many links, most of
      > them to www.hayamasa.demon.co.uk (which doesn't seem to work for me,
      > btw) and the sci.lang.japan FAQ. Even though I couldn't read most of the
      > pages, their descriptions contained enough info to answer my question,
      > although I still don't have any references to back it up (all I really ned
      > is to find a usage before the arrival of the Portugese, really).

      Ben Bullock's "Alternative FAQ" is off-line for the foreseeable future,
      apparently. I'd suggest paying attention to the posts of Jim Breen and
      Gerald (Bart) Mathius (sp?) on sci.lang.japan.

      > Anyway, one page had the following explanation of the roots of 'arigatou':
      >
      > arigatasi -> arigataku gozarimasu -> arigata(k)u goza(r)imasu -> arigatau
      > -> arigatou
      >

      > -Godric Logan

      This raises the question - is there an equivalent to the OED for
      Japanese?

      Yumitori

      --
      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com - Ask me how to get paid for surfing the
      Internet.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2000
        On Tue, 9 May 2000, Ron Martino wrote:

        > This raises the question - is there an equivalent to the OED for
        > Japanese?

        My Japanese friends here tell me to try "Koujien". Sorry, don't know
        what the kanji would be. These are students, not Japanese language
        professors, but they say it is pretty well known.

        -Godric Logan
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2000

          Just check any of the mega Japanese dictionaries. I own Daijirin.
          (Yes, I was influenced by the advertising in the trains.) Regardless,
          pretty much any of the mega dictionaries will tell you the etymology
          of such words. For example, tempura is a Portugese word.

          | techie.com |
        • Ron Martino
          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2000
            Recently, the question of the origins of 'arigatou' came up. I wanted
            to point to the "Alternative sci.lang.japan Frequently Asked Questions"
            (long story as to why it's the 'alternative' one) for an answer, but it
            was no longer on line. This has now been remedied. As a basic source of
            information on Nihongo, it is well worth bookmarking. Go to
            http://www.dgs.monash.edu.au/~jwb/afaq/afaq.html.

            Yumitori