Re: [SCA-JML] "Arigatou"

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9 8:25 AM
      On Tue, 9 May 2000, Ron Martino wrote:

      > The general opinion from Those Who Should Know(tm) is that it's simply
      > a coincidence. There are any number of such similarities between
      > languages (name / namae comes to mind also), but some, like this one,
      > seem to gain general, if mistaken, acceptance as proof of foreign
      > origin.
      >
      > The question has been asked many times on sci.lang.japan, and a search
      > of Dejanews should turn up a much better answer then mine. The
      > Portuguese word is apparently spelled obrigado, by the way.

      Thank you. (Arigatou! :)

      I looked up Arigatou and Obrigado together and found many links, most of
      them to www.hayamasa.demon.co.uk (which doesn't seem to work for me,
      btw) and the sci.lang.japan FAQ. Even though I couldn't read most of the
      pages, their descriptions contained enough info to answer my question,
      although I still don't have any references to back it up (all I really ned
      is to find a usage before the arrival of the Portugese, really).

      Anyway, one page had the following explanation of the roots of 'arigatou':

      arigatasi -> arigataku gozarimasu -> arigata(k)u goza(r)imasu -> arigatau
      -> arigatou

      Arigataku gozarimasu!

      ;)

      -Godric Logan
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9 8:51 AM
        > I looked up Arigatou and Obrigado together and found many links, most of
        > them to www.hayamasa.demon.co.uk (which doesn't seem to work for me,
        > btw) and the sci.lang.japan FAQ. Even though I couldn't read most of the
        > pages, their descriptions contained enough info to answer my question,
        > although I still don't have any references to back it up (all I really ned
        > is to find a usage before the arrival of the Portugese, really).

        Ben Bullock's "Alternative FAQ" is off-line for the foreseeable future,
        apparently. I'd suggest paying attention to the posts of Jim Breen and
        Gerald (Bart) Mathius (sp?) on sci.lang.japan.

        > Anyway, one page had the following explanation of the roots of 'arigatou':
        >
        > arigatasi -> arigataku gozarimasu -> arigata(k)u goza(r)imasu -> arigatau
        > -> arigatou
        >

        > -Godric Logan

        This raises the question - is there an equivalent to the OED for
        Japanese?

        Yumitori

        --
        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com - Ask me how to get paid for surfing the
        Internet.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9 9:00 AM
          On Tue, 9 May 2000, Ron Martino wrote:

          > This raises the question - is there an equivalent to the OED for
          > Japanese?

          My Japanese friends here tell me to try "Koujien". Sorry, don't know
          what the kanji would be. These are students, not Japanese language
          professors, but they say it is pretty well known.

          -Godric Logan
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15 5:36 PM

            Just check any of the mega Japanese dictionaries. I own Daijirin.
            (Yes, I was influenced by the advertising in the trains.) Regardless,
            pretty much any of the mega dictionaries will tell you the etymology
            of such words. For example, tempura is a Portugese word.

            | techie.com |
          • Ron Martino
            Message 5 of 6 , May 24 11:44 PM
              Recently, the question of the origins of 'arigatou' came up. I wanted
              to point to the "Alternative sci.lang.japan Frequently Asked Questions"
              (long story as to why it's the 'alternative' one) for an answer, but it
              was no longer on line. This has now been remedied. As a basic source of
              information on Nihongo, it is well worth bookmarking. Go to
              http://www.dgs.monash.edu.au/~jwb/afaq/afaq.html.

              Yumitori