"Arigatou"

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2000
      Greetings and Salutations to you all,

      I was recently informed of something that I am trying to check into and
      wondered if people could help. One of my friends strode up rather
      confidently to me today to explain that "Arigatou" was originally
      Portugese (Abrigado) and has since come to be a purely Japanese word for
      most Japanese people. His only source was that his Japanese girlfriend
      had told him this.

      Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? Or at least suggest where I look
      for more info? I am checking the web now as well, and I will let the list
      know what I come up with if noone else replies.

      Arigatou,

      -Godric Logan
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2000

        Although I not one of the clothing experts on this mailing list,
        the term just ended and I can't resist saying something.

        First of all. You should consider exactly what social class your
        child wants to belong to. Further, the clothing that children wore
        (even those of the court) were somewhat different than the clothing
        worn by adults.

        Your child is nine years old. Coming of age would not occur for her
        for another three years. The clothing that she would be wearing at
        this point is somewhat simpler. (This is what I have seen so far at
        least.)

        Note. The coming of age ceremony in Japan is the "first uniform"
        ceremony. There is a distinct shift in clothing which occurs
        at about age 12. This can still be seen today. Generally
        speaking, elementary school children do not wear uniforms
        to school (except for the rather uniform hats and backpacks),
        but secondary school students do wear school uniforms.

        | techie.com |
      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2000
          > Although I not one of the clothing experts on this mailing list,
          > the term just ended and I can't resist saying something.
          >
          > First of all. You should consider exactly what social class your
          > child wants to belong to. Further, the clothing that children wore
          > (even those of the court) were somewhat different than the clothing
          > worn by adults.
          >
          > Your child is nine years old. Coming of age would not occur for her
          > for another three years. The clothing that she would be wearing at
          > this point is somewhat simpler. (This is what I have seen so far at
          > least.)

          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          Solveig-sensei, please note that the message you are responding to was
          forwarded to this list, not originally posted here. I believe that I
          included the original headers if you wish to send the lady a personal
          reply. If I failed to do so, let me know and I'll get the appropriate
          information.

          Yumitori

          --
          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com - Ask me how to get paid for surfing the
          Internet.