Term for Japanese Knights

  • Akimoya :�
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2000
      What would be the proper term with which to address a Japanese KSCA?
      A friend of mine was recently knighted, and now I need to figure out
      what to call him :-}

      Akimoya
      Ealdormere
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2000
        Akimoya Dono!

        Greetings from Solveig!

        >What would be the proper term with which to address a Japanese KSCA?
        >A friend of mine was recently knighted, and now I need to figure out
        >what to call him :-}

        My prefered title for knights is "busho" (general) However, the
        general speech honourific remains dono or tono.

        | techie.com |
      • Akimoya :Þ
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2000
          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@b...> wrote:
          > Akimoya Dono!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!

          Ohayo!

          > My prefered title for knights is "busho" (general) However, the
          > general speech honourific remains dono or tono.

          Is that for direct address, as in "Hey, Akimoya-busho" or indirect
          address "Akimoya is a busho"?

          Akimoya
          (not a busho)
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 5 , May 22, 2000

            In Japan, one tends to avoid using names. Look at Ran sometime
            and pay close attention to what people are being called. In
            Ran, King Lear is generally simply addressed as Tono. Like
            other titles, busho can be attached to people's names. It
            is also possible to simply refer to people by their title.
            For example, in a Japanese company, your division manager
            may simply be refered to and address as buchou. At other
            times, the title may be preceeded by his family name. This
            is generally done in order to avoid confusion with other
            managers when the identity of the manager in question would
            otherwise be unclear.

            | techie.com |
          • Akimoya :Þ
            Message 5 of 5 , May 25, 2000
              --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@b...> wrote:
              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > In Japan, one tends to avoid using names. Look at Ran sometime
              > and pay close attention to what people are being called. In
              > Ran, King Lear is generally simply addressed as Tono. Like
              > other titles, busho can be attached to people's names. It
              > is also possible to simply refer to people by their title.
              > For example, in a Japanese company, your division manager
              > may simply be refered to and address as buchou. At other
              > times, the title may be preceeded by his family name. This
              > is generally done in order to avoid confusion with other
              > managers when the identity of the manager in question would
              > otherwise be unclear.

              Thanks, that clears things up precisely!

              Arigato,
              Akimoya
              Ealdormere