Re: [SCA-JML] Shinobi v. Samurai

  • M.Giard
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2000
      read Masaaki Hatsumi book; Ninjutsu, History And Tradition. the
      author related with good accuracy the history of his heritage...

      I will look this up.  Do you have information on who Masaaki Hatsumi is?
      Where did he get his information?
      He is the 34th Soke (grand master) of Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu, and also Soke of 7 other ninjutsu ryu... It may sounds too much for one men, but that's really it... He is a real authority in Ninjutsu...

      >A ninja known as such in feudal japan, was probabbly condamned and executed
      on the spot by any samurai...

      Not neccessarily.  After all, weren't there supposed to be known ninja
      guarding castles at both Osaka and Edo?  I also understand that Maeda Toshii
      was well known for consorting with ninja and his skillful use of them.

      Well, yes... Like Hattori HAnzo, Tokugawa gave him the title of security chief at the rear gate of Edo... The ninja were a "weapon" used by Daimyos when they fight together... Ninjas were only special comandos and spys...
      I don't agree with the image of black masked ninja scalling castle walls, sneaking back alleys and roofs to kill everyone in the castle with a ninja-to... They were master of stategy, so they were better to take minimum risks by putting some make-up and take the role of an eta, peasant or new servant to sneak in the victim chamber and put some poison on the tea...
      BUt ninja were also on the battlefields, (the unification wars period) were they were probably masked, and lightly but deadly equipped... but not in pitch black outfit... I hate this taboo of black outfit... ;-)
      Hanzo Masanari

    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 8 , May 21, 2000
        Baron Edward!

        >> Refresh my memory. Who were the 'samurai' who went about with baskets on
        >> there heads, playing shakuhachi, who were regarded as 'spies'? OR did I
        >> misinterpret the description?
        >
        >Those weren't samurai. They were Buddhist monks, called komuso.

        More accurately, they were supposed to be Buddhist monks. That particular
        group is pretty famous for having included spies. Whether or not all of
        those folks with the basket over their head were really nyuudou or not
        is a matter of conjector. I would hazard that at least some of them were
        not.

        Now then. Is this particular group of interest for the Society? As I
        recall, this group is known for being employed by the Tokugawa bakufu
        which makes them post period.

        As for ninja. The thing to remember about the buke is that it was
        a hereditary caste and not a specific job. Certain jobs held more
        prestige than others. The word "samurai" as I recall is derived
        from the earlier word "saburau" which pretty much means "to serve"
        and refered to certain female attendants in the Heian court.
        Regardless of etymology, the esstential fact is that being a
        "samurai" is orthogonal to engaging in ninja activities.

        As for hollywood, my impression is that Tokyo film studies such as
        Toei were making ninja movies a long time before hollywood ever
        heard of them.

        Finnaly. Ninja Hatori Kun is one of my favourite kid's comics.
        Nin nin!

        | techie.com |