Re: [SCA-JML] Gender roles in Pre-Tokugawa Japan

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2000
      fsjlb4 wrote:

      > I am curious if anyone has any information regarding gender roles prior to the
      > Tokugawa Bakufu. Most particularly I am looking at the Sengoku Jidai (Warring
      > States Period) but I am interested all the way to the beginning of the Heian
      > Period.

      You might want to look at Edith Sarra's "Fictions of Femininity" (She's my
      current kobun prof.)

      > The first question I am trying to answer is to how rigid 'gender' and 'sex'
      > (biologically male/female) were regarded. From what I know of Japan, I would
      > guess that they were fairly strict, but I wonder if it was possible to take on
      > the role of the opposite gender at all. Are there any records of such a
      > social role-reversal?

      I wouldn't know. It seems such studies are becoming more popular these days in J.
      historical/anthropocircles, and personally I find it... well, the flavor of the
      month. Doesn't do a thing for me, and in fact I usually avoid any such
      discussions.

      Sorry, it's just not my cup of cha. But I know there are studies that exist.