Re: [SCA-JML] hellooooo

    Message 1 of 25 , May 1, 2000
      bambooni@... wrote:

      > That's a lot of trees that I need to clear. And since we are on that
      > subject. What I want to try is to use some of those trees for lumber and make
      > a Tori for somewhere in the garden. Anybody got any suggestions on placement
      > or design?? And how big should I make it???

      Well, unless you're actually Shinto, why do it? Although these are scenic little
      things, they are still religious thingies that mean things to people. I've never
      been a big fan of using religious things for decoration (don't get me started on
      popslutstars who wear big crosses as jewelry).

      Now, on the other hand, you can build a *real* small shrine (typically about the
      size of a portable TV) in the garden; there are several different styles of
      yashira you can use, depending on how talented/ambitious you are, and how much
      you want to blow on decoration. You don't need a torii per se (you can use a
      knotted rope with streamers instead). If you want to make the standing yashira,
      a torii just wide enough to admit you and just tall enough that you don't have
      to stoop leading to a six foot path in front of it wouldn't be too odd.

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 25 , May 1, 2000
        Noble Cousins!

        You should understand that torii are gates for gods to enter and leave
        their shrines. I was once told that every shrine has a path leading
        to either a mountain or to the sea from which the god comes. Regardless,
        you do not have to build a miniature house or anything like that in order
        to have torii. (At least small ones.) I have seen torii set up in front
        of springs issuing from the roots of trees and stuff like that. These
        trees are often encircled by ropes with streamers, &c. Regardless, you
        need to enshrine something to have a torii. Essentially you have to
        have a central icon or something which embodies the god. This can
        be housed in some sort of building (big or small).

        Note. While Japanese have imported Buddhism to North America, Shintoh
        has mostly been left at home.

        | techie.com |
      • bambooni@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , May 3, 2000
          In a message dated 5/1/00 11:26:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          ajbryant@... writes:

          > there are several different styles of
          > yashira you can use,
          Are there pictures somewhere that I can see?

          depending on how talented/ambitious you are, and how
          > much
          > you want to blow on decoration.
          All my money is going into the house. so anything I get for the garden that's
          big I'm going to have to hopefully make myself.

          Takabayashi Genpachi
          Message 4 of 25 , May 4, 2000
            bambooni@... wrote:

            > > there are several different styles of
            > > yashira you can use,
            > Are there pictures somewhere that I can see?

            Most books on historical J. architecture have diagrams of a dozen or so shrine
            types. But you'll want something more specific; miniature shrine thingies.

            When I get back from Japan, remind me and I'll send you some photos. I have a
            couple, but plan on taking a few more.

            Effingham
          • bambooni@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , May 4, 2000
              ajbryant@... writes:

              > When I get back from Japan, remind me and I'll send you some photos. I have
              > couple, but plan on taking a few more.
              >
              > Effingham

              Excellent. Thank you. Thank you very much.

              Takabayashi Genpachi
            • Joshua Badgley
              Message 6 of 25 , May 8, 2000
                On Mon, 1 May 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                > Now, on the other hand, you can build a *real* small shrine (typically about the
                > size of a portable TV) in the garden; there are several different styles of
                > yashira you can use, depending on how talented/ambitious you are, and how much
                > you want to blow on decoration. You don't need a torii per se (you can use a
                > knotted rope with streamers instead). If you want to make the standing yashira,
                > a torii just wide enough to admit you and just tall enough that you don't have
                > to stoop leading to a six foot path in front of it wouldn't be too odd.

                Okay, I've been looking through my own pictures, but it doesn't help that
                I'm not sure what I'm looking for. As usual when I just ask someone
                'what's a yashira?' they look at me for a second and then proceed to ask
                if I meant 'yashiro' or 'kashira' or some other word. So I'm asking you,
                what is a yashira, more precisely?

                If it is those stone lanterns and whatnot, I've plenty of pictures of
                those. Regardless, here are the links to what pictures I have of Japanese
                gardens. Unfortunately, the pictures are a tad large in most cases.

                http://mercury.skilak.net/~logan/photos/niwa.JPG (A small garden behind a
                private residence)

                http://mercury.skilak.net/~logan/photos/Kenrokuen/ (My pictures from
                Kenrokuen gardens)

                Most of my pictures can be found at mercury.skilak.net/~logan/photos/
                except for those that haven't been scanned in--a problem I cannot easily
                remedy as I don't currently have any more space on that particular
                server. I'm working on a more user-friendly tour of the site, but there
                are more pressing matters at hand.

                Gambarimashite!

                -Godric Logan
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 25 , May 15, 2000
                  Noble Cousin

                  Yashiro is the kunyomi for JA in jinja. The word refers to a jinja (shrine)
                  or more specifically to the building housing the kami.

                  | techie.com |
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 21, 2000
                    Noble Cousin!

                    Japanese department stores sell ready made yashira which are customarily
                    mounted on top of the ridge beam inside the innermost room of the
                    Japanese home. They can also be found in the central work area of
                    Japanese restaurants.

                    However, if you simply wish to enshrine your back yard, you do not
                    have to have a yashira at all. You could for example simply tie
                    a rope around the trunk of a particularly magnificent tree and
                    attach paper streamers.

                    | techie.com |
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 21, 2000
                      Noble Cousins!

                      If you simply want a small shrine, the archetypal Japanese shrine is
                      simply a heian style or transitional shoen style house. The idea is that
                      you are providing living quarters for the kami.

                      | techie.com |