Re: more on names

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 3, 2003
      > If you want to be from the Heian period and claim descent from Lady
      > Murasaki, then you would be Fujiwara no <something or other>. Note
      > that Fujiwara is an uji. (At lest I recall Dalby writing that
      > Murasaki belonged to a cadet line of the Fujiwara. This should be
      > checked if you really want to be a descendant of Murasaki Shikibu.)

      Murasaki Shikibu's father's name is supposedly be Fujiwara Tametoki.
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/what/life.htm has a bio in English.

      Makiwara
    • ekoogler1@comcast.net
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 14, 2003
        Speaking of a fictional Japan, has anyone read "Across the Nightingale Floor?" Talk about great fiction...it is really fictional in that even the places are fictitious. But they definitely mimic real places...and the story definitely is fictional, but has all of the flavor and characteristics of real Japan. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on the second...it's a trilogy.

        But then, you guys are so far ahead of the curve with this sort of thing that this is probably old news! ;-)

        Kiri