Re: [SCA-JML] (More) Kyougen questions

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2000

      There are three common repeaters in Japanese. One repeats a single
      syllable, one repeats a single syllable cluster and another repeats
      a kanji. The kanji repeater looks a bit more like a kanji or a
      katakana character. The single syllable repeater looks a bit like
      a tick mark (as I recall, it curves concave up down to the right
      and is then drawn horizontally to the left) and the long drawn out
      hiragana ku represents a repeated syllable cluster such as "toki"
      in tokidoki or "iro" in "iro'iro".

      >Joshua Badgley wrote:
      >
      >> Gomen nasarimasu...
      >>
      >> Okay, so I'm going along, reading the Kyougen (out loud, because it's much
      >> more fun that way, like shakespeare) and I keep coming on two symbols that
      >> stump me. I know my Wi and the To, but I can't figure out what the tiny
      >> little mark following some characters is, nor the long 'ku' like marks.
      >>
      >> The first one looks like a quick brushtroke down-right, push, finish
      >> down-left, about the size of a chisai 'tsu'.
      >>

      >This is "the repeater." It's used to indicate that this space is occupied by
      >the same kanji as precedes it. So when you write "tokidok," "iroiro,"
      >"wareware," "hinichi" and so on, you only write the kanji once, and then
      >follow it with the repeater.
      >

      >> The second one looks like a ku: < Only it takes up the space of two
      >> letters.
      >
      >This definitely *is* a repeater. It's used in instances when the previous to
      >be repeated (usually two, rarely three) characters are written in kana.
      >Obviously it can only be used when writing vertically. Sometimes it's written
      >with the indicators for consonant shifting (K>G, T>D, etc.) to mark readings
      >like "tokidoki" when written in kana.
      >
      >It's annoying that there is no mark like this in the common typesets for
      >Japanese. Since it occupies the space of two characters, it would be hard,
      >but still... those of us who have to typeset J. texts do things like this:

      >/
      >\
      >

      >> I had originally thought that the little mark might just be a chisai
      >> 'tsu', but then I heard it meant to repeat the previous character,
      >> although it doesn't look like the typicl character I've seen (such as in
      >> 'iroiro').
      >
      >It's probably just an issue of typographical style variation. If the font
      >you're reading is more calligraphic (e.g., "kyokasho") rather than print
      >(e.g., "mincho" or "maru gothic"), that's more than likely the case.
      >
      >> I thought the second bit might be a long pause, but now I'm
      >> wondering if there isn't more to it.
      >
      >These wouldn't be represented in writing. At least not like this. (In modern
      >manga, they will write " ........ " to indicate a silence or lack of speech,
      >but that's not kyogen. <G>)
      >
      >Have you encountered the little "pinpoint" brush strokes to the sides of
      >(vertical) characters, yet? It's sort of the equivalent of writing something
      >in italics or underlining it, and serves to indicate emphasis.
      >

      >Effingham

      | techie.com |