Re: [SCA-JML] Reply to an old post

  • Alcyoneus
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
      You better get kissed repeatedly at that price.

      Alcyoneus

      At 02:45 PM 10/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >Katai na Itoko!
      >
      >I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
      >without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
      >Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
      >sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
      >little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
      >at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
      >that was a good price or not.
      >
      >Murasaki
    • Bubba
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
        mattfmcti wrote:
        > Katai na Itoko!
        >
        > I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
        > without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
        > Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
        > sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
        > little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
        > at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
        > that was a good price or not.

        Onlinemetals.com is a good place to get small quantites, but they're pretty
        expensive. I usually pay around $75 for a 4x10 sheet of 16 ga.. Might try
        the local home improvement place (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). They usually
        have various sheets of steel.
        --
        Gundy
        mysticz28@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
          Wholehearted agreement--that's an outrageous price for steel. I pay about $45.00 Canadian for a 4' X 8' sheet of 16 gauge, although it is hot rolled. But, if that's the price you have to pay, jeez, go with the hot rolled! It may be a bit "softer" than cold-rolled, but depending on the type of armour (the presumed use?) you have in mind, it should do just fine.

          - Shiro
          You better get kissed repeatedly at that price.

          Alcyoneus

          At 02:45 PM 10/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          >Katai na Itoko!
          >
          >I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
          >without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
          >Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
          >sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
          >little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
          >at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
          >that was a good price or not.
          >
          >Murasaki

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Bubba
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
            Tim McShane wrote:
            > Wholehearted agreement--that's an outrageous price for steel. I pay
            > about $45.00 Canadian for a 4' X 8' sheet of 16 gauge, although it is
            > hot rolled. But, if that's the price you have to pay, jeez, go with
            > the hot rolled! It may be a bit "softer" than cold-rolled, but
            > depending on the type of armour (the presumed use?) you have in mind,
            > it should do just fine.

            That's a pretty good price... but then I was buying carbon steel (1060, I
            think it was) so it could be hardened. Good luck denting that particular
            armor ;)

            Has anyone found a decent supply of Kydex lately? I went to fetch some
            yesterday and was quoted $160 a sheet. Uhh... no. There's a sheet of black
            1/8" ABS in the garage now ;) Should be going to the CNC shop to be punched
            into 1500 kozane shortly.
            --
            Gundy
            mysticz28@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
              Responding in particular to buying steel at home depot or lowes: DON'T do it. Seriously. I mean no offense, but those places REALLY jack steel prices up. I get my steel (for sculpture, etc) at a place here in town called alamo iron works. I've bought 18 and 16 gauge steel at roughly $32 bucks for a 4' x 8' sheet (standard). My experience with home depot is that its a complete rip off.

              Irobe Saburo Yoriie

              Bubba <mysticz28@...> wrote:
              mattfmcti wrote:
              > Katai na Itoko!
              >
              > I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
              > without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
              > Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
              > sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
              > little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
              > at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
              > that was a good price or not.

              Onlinemetals.com is a good place to get small quantites, but they're pretty
              expensive. I usually pay around $75 for a 4x10 sheet of 16 ga.. Might try
              the local home improvement place (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). They usually
              have various sheets of steel.
              --
              Gundy
              mysticz28@...

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • mattfmcti
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                Does the reference to the Alamo mean the place is in San Antonio? If
                so, that's only 2 hour drive for me from Corpus. And 4'x8' would be
                WAAAAAYYYYY more than I need *hee hee* What do they charge for
                cutting? My auto-voiture won't hold something that size.

                Murasaki

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sean ibanez <sean_ibanez@y...> wrote:
                > Responding in particular to buying steel at home depot or lowes:
                DON'T do it. Seriously. I mean no offense, but those places REALLY
                jack steel prices up. I get my steel (for sculpture, etc) at a place
                here in town called alamo iron works. I've bought 18 and 16 gauge
                steel at roughly $32 bucks for a 4' x 8' sheet (standard). My
                experience with home depot is that its a complete rip off.

                > Irobe Saburo Yoriie
                >
                > Bubba <mysticz28@s...> wrote:
                > mattfmcti wrote:
                > > Katai na Itoko!
                > >
                > > I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
                > > without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link
                for
                > > Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
                > > sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063"
                (a
                > > little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never
                looked
                > > at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew
                if
                > > that was a good price or not.
                >
                > Onlinemetals.com is a good place to get small quantites, but
                they're pretty
                > expensive. I usually pay around $75 for a 4x10 sheet of 16 ga..
                Might try
                > the local home improvement place (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). They
                usually
                > have various sheets of steel.
                > --
                > Gundy
                > mysticz28@s...
                > He who seeks will find, and he who knocks will be let in.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Service.

              • Bubba
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                  sean ibanez wrote:
                  > Responding in particular to buying steel at home depot or lowes:
                  > DON'T do it. Seriously. I mean no offense, but those places REALLY
                  > jack steel prices up. I get my steel (for sculpture, etc) at a place
                  > here in town called alamo iron works. I've bought 18 and 16 gauge
                  > steel at roughly $32 bucks for a 4' x 8' sheet (standard). My
                  > experience with home depot is that its a complete rip off.

                  Yes, but if you only need a small piece it's a whole lot better to pay more
                  per square foot for the small chunk than more total for the huge chunk that
                  you then have to cut down and store.
                  --
                  Gundy
                  mysticz28@...
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2003
                    Yep, San Antonio. They charge an arm and a leg for cutting, though ($35 bucks, god knows why...). I'm always using steel, so I didn't realize that most people wouldn't need a whole 4x8 sheet of steel, as the other gentlemen posted. I guess your best bet would be home depot.

                    Irobe Saburo Yoriie