RE: [SCA-JML] Re: Cricket House - sorta OT

  • Eric Munson
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

        enemies no more

        katana put down
        gagaku in the grasses
        stingers laid to rest

        Date
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Munson" <eric@m...> wrote:
          > Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am
          leaning
          > towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit
          most
          > of the criteria being brought up.

          Does any of this have to do with going bughouse? ;->

          Makiwara, whose Western alter-ego is chatelaine of Chateau des Singes
          (The Monkey House)
        • Eric Munson
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

            Well done!

            Stingers laid to rest
            The meadow lies in repose
            Peaceful after the concert
            Tiny Shirabyoshi
            End the dance as Dawn unfolds

            - mokurai
          • Choronzey, Marc
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
              woo-hoo! err.... yosh.

              hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
              english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
              they are very nice indeed. :)

              Poetry challenge
              monk and warrior confront
              Afternoon's delight.

              (hehehe)

              -Marc Choronzey
              Support SAC, BMC Montreal
              Page : 514.414.0907
              Cell : 514.917.4764

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                Eric Munson wrote:

                > I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
                > is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters

                You know, if you did go with cicadas you could say in all honesty and with a
                straight face that you live in a "semi"-detached house. <G>

                Effingham
              • Eric Munson
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                  ACK!

                • Eric Munson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Well, I suppose we are playing fast and loose with the rules, but a good
                    round of Renga now and then is good for the soul.

                    - mokurai

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Choronzey, Marc wrote:

                      > woo-hoo! err.... yosh.
                      >
                      > hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                      > english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                      > they are very nice indeed. :)
                      >
                      > Poetry challenge
                      > monk and warrior confront
                      > Afternoon's delight.

                      Afternoon's delight?

                      Hmmm.

                      Afternoon delight.
                      Dressed up like a deuce, you know.
                      Runner in the night.

                      Effingham
                    • Choronzey, Marc
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                        LOL LOL LOL I surrender! I cant afford to split a gut at the office.... I
                        have to pay for the ambulance ride... (hehehe)

                        -Marc Choronzey
                        Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                        Page : 514.414.0907
                        Cell : 514.917.4764

                      • Solveig
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                          Ii dono!

                          Greetings from Solveig!

                          >What about 'suzu-mushi'? I've seen it translated as 'bell cricket' and,
                          >even though it is a specific type, it might work here. I also missed,
                          >earlier, whether you had considered '-den'. I'm not sure if it can be
                          >used in a name, however, although I thought I remembered it being used for
                          >such. Would 'Suzu-den' (Bell Mansion) be doable?

                          I am pretty sure that suzu-mushi is one of those poetic references rather
                          than an actual primary word. There are other examples. In modern Japan,
                          gokiburi are also known as abura-mushi. You are correct that -den is another
                          building forming word, I was trying to go for things which would be a bit
                          personal appropraite for Mokurai-bozu and still create the image of a larger
                          rather than a smaller structure.