Reply to an old post

  • mattfmcti
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
      Katai na Itoko!

      I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
      without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
      Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
      sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
      little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
      at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
      that was a good price or not.

      Murasaki
    • Alcyoneus
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
        You better get kissed repeatedly at that price.

        Alcyoneus

        At 02:45 PM 10/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Katai na Itoko!
        >
        >I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
        >without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
        >Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
        >sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
        >little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
        >at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
        >that was a good price or not.
        >
        >Murasaki
      • Bubba
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
          mattfmcti wrote:
          > Katai na Itoko!
          >
          > I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
          > without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
          > Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
          > sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
          > little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
          > at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
          > that was a good price or not.

          Onlinemetals.com is a good place to get small quantites, but they're pretty
          expensive. I usually pay around $75 for a 4x10 sheet of 16 ga.. Might try
          the local home improvement place (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). They usually
          have various sheets of steel.
          --
          Gundy
          mysticz28@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
            Wholehearted agreement--that's an outrageous price for steel. I pay about $45.00 Canadian for a 4' X 8' sheet of 16 gauge, although it is hot rolled. But, if that's the price you have to pay, jeez, go with the hot rolled! It may be a bit "softer" than cold-rolled, but depending on the type of armour (the presumed use?) you have in mind, it should do just fine.

            - Shiro
            You better get kissed repeatedly at that price.

            Alcyoneus

            At 02:45 PM 10/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            >Katai na Itoko!
            >
            >I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
            >without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
            >Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
            >sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
            >little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
            >at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
            >that was a good price or not.
            >
            >Murasaki

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Bubba
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
              Tim McShane wrote:
              > Wholehearted agreement--that's an outrageous price for steel. I pay
              > about $45.00 Canadian for a 4' X 8' sheet of 16 gauge, although it is
              > hot rolled. But, if that's the price you have to pay, jeez, go with
              > the hot rolled! It may be a bit "softer" than cold-rolled, but
              > depending on the type of armour (the presumed use?) you have in mind,
              > it should do just fine.

              That's a pretty good price... but then I was buying carbon steel (1060, I
              think it was) so it could be hardened. Good luck denting that particular
              armor ;)

              Has anyone found a decent supply of Kydex lately? I went to fetch some
              yesterday and was quoted $160 a sheet. Uhh... no. There's a sheet of black
              1/8" ABS in the garage now ;) Should be going to the CNC shop to be punched
              into 1500 kozane shortly.
              --
              Gundy
              mysticz28@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                Responding in particular to buying steel at home depot or lowes: DON'T do it. Seriously. I mean no offense, but those places REALLY jack steel prices up. I get my steel (for sculpture, etc) at a place here in town called alamo iron works. I've bought 18 and 16 gauge steel at roughly $32 bucks for a 4' x 8' sheet (standard). My experience with home depot is that its a complete rip off.

                Irobe Saburo Yoriie

                Bubba <mysticz28@...> wrote:
                mattfmcti wrote:
                > Katai na Itoko!
                >
                > I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
                > without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link for
                > Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
                > sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063" (a
                > little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never looked
                > at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew if
                > that was a good price or not.

                Onlinemetals.com is a good place to get small quantites, but they're pretty
                expensive. I usually pay around $75 for a 4x10 sheet of 16 ga.. Might try
                the local home improvement place (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). They usually
                have various sheets of steel.
                --
                Gundy
                mysticz28@...

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • mattfmcti
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Does the reference to the Alamo mean the place is in San Antonio? If
                  so, that's only 2 hour drive for me from Corpus. And 4'x8' would be
                  WAAAAAYYYYY more than I need *hee hee* What do they charge for
                  cutting? My auto-voiture won't hold something that size.

                  Murasaki

                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sean ibanez <sean_ibanez@y...> wrote:
                  > Responding in particular to buying steel at home depot or lowes:
                  DON'T do it. Seriously. I mean no offense, but those places REALLY
                  jack steel prices up. I get my steel (for sculpture, etc) at a place
                  here in town called alamo iron works. I've bought 18 and 16 gauge
                  steel at roughly $32 bucks for a 4' x 8' sheet (standard). My
                  experience with home depot is that its a complete rip off.

                  > Irobe Saburo Yoriie
                  >
                  > Bubba <mysticz28@s...> wrote:
                  > mattfmcti wrote:
                  > > Katai na Itoko!
                  > >
                  > > I was sifting through the older posts trying to glean knowledge
                  > > without asking the same questions again, and stumbled on the link
                  for
                  > > Onlinemetals.com. I looked through their listings for cold-rolled
                  > > sheet steel, and they quoted me a price of $5.00 a piece of .063"
                  (a
                  > > little more than 16 ga) sheet, cut to 2.5" x 10". I have never
                  looked
                  > > at how much steel costs before, so I was wondering if anyone knew
                  if
                  > > that was a good price or not.
                  >
                  > Onlinemetals.com is a good place to get small quantites, but
                  they're pretty
                  > expensive. I usually pay around $75 for a 4x10 sheet of 16 ga..
                  Might try
                  > the local home improvement place (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). They
                  usually
                  > have various sheets of steel.
                  > --
                  > Gundy
                  > mysticz28@s...
                  > He who seeks will find, and he who knocks will be let in.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Service.

                • Bubba
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                    sean ibanez wrote:
                    > Responding in particular to buying steel at home depot or lowes:
                    > DON'T do it. Seriously. I mean no offense, but those places REALLY
                    > jack steel prices up. I get my steel (for sculpture, etc) at a place
                    > here in town called alamo iron works. I've bought 18 and 16 gauge
                    > steel at roughly $32 bucks for a 4' x 8' sheet (standard). My
                    > experience with home depot is that its a complete rip off.

                    Yes, but if you only need a small piece it's a whole lot better to pay more
                    per square foot for the small chunk than more total for the huge chunk that
                    you then have to cut down and store.
                    --
                    Gundy
                    mysticz28@...
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 6, 2003
                      Yep, San Antonio. They charge an arm and a leg for cutting, though ($35 bucks, god knows why...). I'm always using steel, so I didn't realize that most people wouldn't need a whole 4x8 sheet of steel, as the other gentlemen posted. I guess your best bet would be home depot.

                      Irobe Saburo Yoriie