Re: Cricket House - sorta OT

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
      > Solveig, my Clan Sister,

      > > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
      > > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.

      ...and "insect palace" seems to be quite the pun to bring a smile to
      the lips...

      Date Saburou Yukiie
    • Eric Munson
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

        Really? Tell me the next time you are stung by a firefly! The mountain
        is green and the flowers are red. ^_^

        > All life, even insect
        > life, has its place in the universe...

        Indeed.

        I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
        is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters (including politics).
        Thus, some things in his world predate his entering of the way or are
        things that were once possessions of, or associated with, the Matsuyama
        clan. In that sense, the '-in' would be ok. Though Solveig is right in
        that it doesn't quite match Mokurai's "aspect". On the other hand, Eric
        Munson is quite fond of his Victorian house and his materialistic
        collection of antiques. ^_^

        - mokueric, wannabe Victorian tea master
      • Eric Munson
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

          I follow the Yaen school and am a devotee of the rotten peach sutra.

          > Consequently, I was suggesting a number of suffixes used
          > either for monastic buildings or used for tea houses. Tea
          > practitioners were a quasi-monastic lot of artists.

          Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am leaning
          towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit most
          of the criteria being brought up. Sounds pretty good to my poor ears.

          > Family names and rural house names may be largely coincident.
          > This is because the medieval Japanese concept of the family
          > is based upon cohabitation and not on blood line. This is
          > further complicated by the myouden or named fields.

          Kinda like hippies or SCAdians. Seriously, this is all interesting
          stuff. Thank you.

          - mokurai
        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

            > Really? Tell me the next time you are stung by a firefly! The mountain
            > is green and the flowers are red. ^_^

            :)

            even the crickets
            chirping for their enemies
            malicious fireflies

            ...damned malicious fireflies
            :)

            Date
          • Choronzey, Marc
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
              ----> Cricket unheeded
              A moment interupted
              Ouch! Flickering pain...
              ---->

              Not obvious to write "Improv Haiku" when works keep interupting. lol

              -Marc Choronzey
              Support SAC, BMC Montreal
              work : 514.420.7888 poste 3221
              Page : 514.414.0907
              Cell : 514.917.4764

            • Eric Munson
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                malicious fireflies
                Glowing inside my lantern
                Longing to fly free
                Outside, the summer night sings
                And ugly crickets are safe

                - mokurai
              • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                  > malicious fireflies
                  > Glowing inside my lantern
                  > Longing to fly free
                  > Outside, the summer night sings
                  > And ugly crickets are safe
                  >
                  > - mokurai

                  > malicious fireflies
                  > Glowing inside my lantern
                  > Longing to fly free
                  > Outside, the summer night sings
                  > And ugly crickets are safe

                  fireflies and crickets
                  all gather to hear music
                  enemies no more

                  katana put down
                  gagaku in the grasses
                  stingers laid to rest

                  Date
                • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Munson" <eric@m...> wrote:
                    > Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am
                    leaning
                    > towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit
                    most
                    > of the criteria being brought up.

                    Does any of this have to do with going bughouse? ;->

                    Makiwara, whose Western alter-ego is chatelaine of Chateau des Singes
                    (The Monkey House)
                  • Eric Munson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                      Well done!

                      Stingers laid to rest
                      The meadow lies in repose
                      Peaceful after the concert
                      Tiny Shirabyoshi
                      End the dance as Dawn unfolds

                      - mokurai
                    • Choronzey, Marc
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                        woo-hoo! err.... yosh.

                        hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                        english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                        they are very nice indeed. :)

                        Poetry challenge
                        monk and warrior confront
                        Afternoon's delight.

                        (hehehe)

                        -Marc Choronzey
                        Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                        Page : 514.414.0907
                        Cell : 514.917.4764

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                          Eric Munson wrote:

                          > I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
                          > is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters

                          You know, if you did go with cicadas you could say in all honesty and with a
                          straight face that you live in a "semi"-detached house. <G>

                          Effingham
                        • Eric Munson
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                            ACK!

                          • Eric Munson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                              Well, I suppose we are playing fast and loose with the rules, but a good
                              round of Renga now and then is good for the soul.

                              - mokurai

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                Choronzey, Marc wrote:

                                > woo-hoo! err.... yosh.
                                >
                                > hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                                > english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                                > they are very nice indeed. :)
                                >
                                > Poetry challenge
                                > monk and warrior confront
                                > Afternoon's delight.

                                Afternoon's delight?

                                Hmmm.

                                Afternoon delight.
                                Dressed up like a deuce, you know.
                                Runner in the night.

                                Effingham
                              • Choronzey, Marc
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                  LOL LOL LOL I surrender! I cant afford to split a gut at the office.... I
                                  have to pay for the ambulance ride... (hehehe)

                                  -Marc Choronzey
                                  Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                                  Page : 514.414.0907
                                  Cell : 514.917.4764

                                • Solveig
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                    Ii dono!

                                    Greetings from Solveig!

                                    >What about 'suzu-mushi'? I've seen it translated as 'bell cricket' and,
                                    >even though it is a specific type, it might work here. I also missed,
                                    >earlier, whether you had considered '-den'. I'm not sure if it can be
                                    >used in a name, however, although I thought I remembered it being used for
                                    >such. Would 'Suzu-den' (Bell Mansion) be doable?

                                    I am pretty sure that suzu-mushi is one of those poetic references rather
                                    than an actual primary word. There are other examples. In modern Japan,
                                    gokiburi are also known as abura-mushi. You are correct that -den is another
                                    building forming word, I was trying to go for things which would be a bit
                                    personal appropraite for Mokurai-bozu and still create the image of a larger
                                    rather than a smaller structure.