Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Cricket House - sorta OT

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
      On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Solveig wrote:

      > Greetings from Solveig!
      > >how about calling the place cricket hall...ko'orogi-in...
      > >
      > >this would be along similar lines to the byôdo-in...
      > >
      > >Just thoughts...
      >
      > Here is my read on it. ko'orogi is problematic.
      >
      > Incidentaly, semi (chicada) is also translated as locust.
      >
      > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
      > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.
      > --

      What about 'suzu-mushi'? I've seen it translated as 'bell cricket' and,
      even though it is a specific type, it might work here. I also missed,
      earlier, whether you had considered '-den'. I'm not sure if it can be
      used in a name, however, although I thought I remembered it being used for
      such. Would 'Suzu-den' (Bell Mansion) be doable?

      -Ii
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
        Solveig, my Clan Sister,

        > Here is my read on it. ko'orogi is problematic.
        >
        > Incidentaly, semi (chicada) is also translated as locust.
        >
        > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
        > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.
        > --

        I figure as Mokurai bozu practices non-attachment in this world of
        mappo, the distinction between one insect or another looses some of
        its former importance...All life, even insect life, has its place in
        the universe...

        Date Saburou Yukiie
      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
          > Solveig, my Clan Sister,

          > > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
          > > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.

          ...and "insect palace" seems to be quite the pun to bring a smile to
          the lips...

          Date Saburou Yukiie
        • Eric Munson
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

            Really? Tell me the next time you are stung by a firefly! The mountain
            is green and the flowers are red. ^_^

            > All life, even insect
            > life, has its place in the universe...

            Indeed.

            I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
            is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters (including politics).
            Thus, some things in his world predate his entering of the way or are
            things that were once possessions of, or associated with, the Matsuyama
            clan. In that sense, the '-in' would be ok. Though Solveig is right in
            that it doesn't quite match Mokurai's "aspect". On the other hand, Eric
            Munson is quite fond of his Victorian house and his materialistic
            collection of antiques. ^_^

            - mokueric, wannabe Victorian tea master
          • Eric Munson
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

              I follow the Yaen school and am a devotee of the rotten peach sutra.

              > Consequently, I was suggesting a number of suffixes used
              > either for monastic buildings or used for tea houses. Tea
              > practitioners were a quasi-monastic lot of artists.

              Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am leaning
              towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit most
              of the criteria being brought up. Sounds pretty good to my poor ears.

              > Family names and rural house names may be largely coincident.
              > This is because the medieval Japanese concept of the family
              > is based upon cohabitation and not on blood line. This is
              > further complicated by the myouden or named fields.

              Kinda like hippies or SCAdians. Seriously, this is all interesting
              stuff. Thank you.

              - mokurai
            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                > Really? Tell me the next time you are stung by a firefly! The mountain
                > is green and the flowers are red. ^_^

                :)

                even the crickets
                chirping for their enemies
                malicious fireflies

                ...damned malicious fireflies
                :)

                Date
              • Choronzey, Marc
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                  ----> Cricket unheeded
                  A moment interupted
                  Ouch! Flickering pain...
                  ---->

                  Not obvious to write "Improv Haiku" when works keep interupting. lol

                  -Marc Choronzey
                  Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                  work : 514.420.7888 poste 3221
                  Page : 514.414.0907
                  Cell : 514.917.4764

                • Eric Munson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                    malicious fireflies
                    Glowing inside my lantern
                    Longing to fly free
                    Outside, the summer night sings
                    And ugly crickets are safe

                    - mokurai
                  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                      > malicious fireflies
                      > Glowing inside my lantern
                      > Longing to fly free
                      > Outside, the summer night sings
                      > And ugly crickets are safe
                      >
                      > - mokurai

                      > malicious fireflies
                      > Glowing inside my lantern
                      > Longing to fly free
                      > Outside, the summer night sings
                      > And ugly crickets are safe

                      fireflies and crickets
                      all gather to hear music
                      enemies no more

                      katana put down
                      gagaku in the grasses
                      stingers laid to rest

                      Date
                    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Munson" <eric@m...> wrote:
                        > Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am
                        leaning
                        > towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit
                        most
                        > of the criteria being brought up.

                        Does any of this have to do with going bughouse? ;->

                        Makiwara, whose Western alter-ego is chatelaine of Chateau des Singes
                        (The Monkey House)
                      • Eric Munson
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                          Well done!

                          Stingers laid to rest
                          The meadow lies in repose
                          Peaceful after the concert
                          Tiny Shirabyoshi
                          End the dance as Dawn unfolds

                          - mokurai
                        • Choronzey, Marc
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                            woo-hoo! err.... yosh.

                            hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                            english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                            they are very nice indeed. :)

                            Poetry challenge
                            monk and warrior confront
                            Afternoon's delight.

                            (hehehe)

                            -Marc Choronzey
                            Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                            Page : 514.414.0907
                            Cell : 514.917.4764

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                              Eric Munson wrote:

                              > I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
                              > is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters

                              You know, if you did go with cicadas you could say in all honesty and with a
                              straight face that you live in a "semi"-detached house. <G>

                              Effingham
                            • Eric Munson
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                ACK!

                              • Eric Munson
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                  Well, I suppose we are playing fast and loose with the rules, but a good
                                  round of Renga now and then is good for the soul.

                                  - mokurai

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                    Choronzey, Marc wrote:

                                    > woo-hoo! err.... yosh.
                                    >
                                    > hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                                    > english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                                    > they are very nice indeed. :)
                                    >
                                    > Poetry challenge
                                    > monk and warrior confront
                                    > Afternoon's delight.

                                    Afternoon's delight?

                                    Hmmm.

                                    Afternoon delight.
                                    Dressed up like a deuce, you know.
                                    Runner in the night.

                                    Effingham
                                  • Choronzey, Marc
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                      LOL LOL LOL I surrender! I cant afford to split a gut at the office.... I
                                      have to pay for the ambulance ride... (hehehe)

                                      -Marc Choronzey
                                      Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                                      Page : 514.414.0907
                                      Cell : 514.917.4764

                                    • Solveig
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                        Ii dono!

                                        Greetings from Solveig!

                                        >What about 'suzu-mushi'? I've seen it translated as 'bell cricket' and,
                                        >even though it is a specific type, it might work here. I also missed,
                                        >earlier, whether you had considered '-den'. I'm not sure if it can be
                                        >used in a name, however, although I thought I remembered it being used for
                                        >such. Would 'Suzu-den' (Bell Mansion) be doable?

                                        I am pretty sure that suzu-mushi is one of those poetic references rather
                                        than an actual primary word. There are other examples. In modern Japan,
                                        gokiburi are also known as abura-mushi. You are correct that -den is another
                                        building forming word, I was trying to go for things which would be a bit
                                        personal appropraite for Mokurai-bozu and still create the image of a larger
                                        rather than a smaller structure.