Period Music & Soundtracks

  • michaeljohngb
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      Many thanks to all of you who responded to my query regarding Novels -
      plenty of useful references for me to follow up! I would also welcome
      any comments/suggestions on the following:

      1. Can anyone recommend any CD recordings of period music/songs/court
      music?

      2. Have the soundtracks/film scores to Kurosawa films such as
      Kagemusha and Ran ever been released on CD? If so, are they still
      available?

      Michael
    • Choronzey, Marc
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
        Ohayo,

        I know that roughly half the taiko pieces played by Kodo are traditional,
        as much festival pieces as village-folk pieces...Although the style is less
        traditional.

        Else, I dont know if they made soundtracks for the Kurosawa movies.

        -Marc Choronzey
        Support SAC, BMC Montreal
        work : 514.420.7888 poste 3221
        Page : 514.414.0907
        Cell : 514.917.4764

      • Eric Munson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
          A quick search on Amazon....

          On gagaku...

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Daps%26field-
          keywords%3Dgagaku%26url%3Dindex%3Daps%26store-name%3Dall-product-search/
          103-7666167-4268634

          On koto...

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Daps%26field-
          keywords%3Dkoto%26url%3Dindex%3Daps%26store-name%3Dall-product-search/10
          3-7666167-4268634

          On shakuhachi...

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Daps%26field-
          keywords%3Dshakuhachi%26url%3Dindex%3Daps%26store-name%3Dall-product-sea
          rch/103-7666167-4268634

          Note that a good deal of the music for koo and shakuhachi will be post
          period, however, it is gorgeous and worth having. I have several
          shakuhachi recordings including one called "Shingetsu" it is my
          favorite...

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003ISG/qid=1065013521/
          sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-7666167-4268634?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

          - mokurai

        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003

            Greetings from Solveig! Go to amazon or tower records or some similar CD
            vendor and search for Noh, nogaku, bugaku, and gagaku. You will find a
            number of CD's which have more or less period music on them.

            If you are genuinely interested in period music, then most of the shakuhachi
            recordings and similar "traditional" stuff will not be what you are looking
            for.

            Note. Some of this music may remind you of cats being shredded.