[SCA-JML] Re: Cricket House - sorta OT

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
      Date dono!

      Greetings from Solveig!
      >how about calling the place cricket hall...ko'orogi-in...
      >
      >this would be along similar lines to the byôdo-in...
      >
      >Just thoughts...

      Here is my read on it. ko'orogi is problematic.

      Incidentaly, semi (chicada) is also translated as locust.

      -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
      the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.

    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
        On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Solveig wrote:

        > Greetings from Solveig!
        > >how about calling the place cricket hall...ko'orogi-in...
        > >
        > >this would be along similar lines to the byôdo-in...
        > >
        > >Just thoughts...
        >
        > Here is my read on it. ko'orogi is problematic.
        >
        > Incidentaly, semi (chicada) is also translated as locust.
        >
        > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
        > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.
        > --

        What about 'suzu-mushi'? I've seen it translated as 'bell cricket' and,
        even though it is a specific type, it might work here. I also missed,
        earlier, whether you had considered '-den'. I'm not sure if it can be
        used in a name, however, although I thought I remembered it being used for
        such. Would 'Suzu-den' (Bell Mansion) be doable?

        -Ii
      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
          Solveig, my Clan Sister,

          > Here is my read on it. ko'orogi is problematic.
          >
          > Incidentaly, semi (chicada) is also translated as locust.
          >
          > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
          > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.
          > --

          I figure as Mokurai bozu practices non-attachment in this world of
          mappo, the distinction between one insect or another looses some of
          its former importance...All life, even insect life, has its place in
          the universe...

          Date Saburou Yukiie
        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
            > Solveig, my Clan Sister,

            > > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
            > > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.

            ...and "insect palace" seems to be quite the pun to bring a smile to
            the lips...

            Date Saburou Yukiie
          • Eric Munson
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

              Really? Tell me the next time you are stung by a firefly! The mountain
              is green and the flowers are red. ^_^

              > All life, even insect
              > life, has its place in the universe...

              Indeed.

              I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
              is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters (including politics).
              Thus, some things in his world predate his entering of the way or are
              things that were once possessions of, or associated with, the Matsuyama
              clan. In that sense, the '-in' would be ok. Though Solveig is right in
              that it doesn't quite match Mokurai's "aspect". On the other hand, Eric
              Munson is quite fond of his Victorian house and his materialistic
              collection of antiques. ^_^

              - mokueric, wannabe Victorian tea master
            • Eric Munson
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                I follow the Yaen school and am a devotee of the rotten peach sutra.

                > Consequently, I was suggesting a number of suffixes used
                > either for monastic buildings or used for tea houses. Tea
                > practitioners were a quasi-monastic lot of artists.

                Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am leaning
                towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit most
                of the criteria being brought up. Sounds pretty good to my poor ears.

                > Family names and rural house names may be largely coincident.
                > This is because the medieval Japanese concept of the family
                > is based upon cohabitation and not on blood line. This is
                > further complicated by the myouden or named fields.

                Kinda like hippies or SCAdians. Seriously, this is all interesting
                stuff. Thank you.

                - mokurai
              • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                  > Really? Tell me the next time you are stung by a firefly! The mountain
                  > is green and the flowers are red. ^_^

                  :)

                  even the crickets
                  chirping for their enemies
                  malicious fireflies

                  ...damned malicious fireflies
                  :)

                  Date
                • Choronzey, Marc
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                    ----> Cricket unheeded
                    A moment interupted
                    Ouch! Flickering pain...
                    ---->

                    Not obvious to write "Improv Haiku" when works keep interupting. lol

                    -Marc Choronzey
                    Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                    work : 514.420.7888 poste 3221
                    Page : 514.414.0907
                    Cell : 514.917.4764

                  • Eric Munson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                      malicious fireflies
                      Glowing inside my lantern
                      Longing to fly free
                      Outside, the summer night sings
                      And ugly crickets are safe

                      - mokurai
                    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                        > malicious fireflies
                        > Glowing inside my lantern
                        > Longing to fly free
                        > Outside, the summer night sings
                        > And ugly crickets are safe
                        >
                        > - mokurai

                        > malicious fireflies
                        > Glowing inside my lantern
                        > Longing to fly free
                        > Outside, the summer night sings
                        > And ugly crickets are safe

                        fireflies and crickets
                        all gather to hear music
                        enemies no more

                        katana put down
                        gagaku in the grasses
                        stingers laid to rest

                        Date
                      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Munson" <eric@m...> wrote:
                          > Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am
                          leaning
                          > towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit
                          most
                          > of the criteria being brought up.

                          Does any of this have to do with going bughouse? ;->

                          Makiwara, whose Western alter-ego is chatelaine of Chateau des Singes
                          (The Monkey House)
                        • Eric Munson
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                            Well done!

                            Stingers laid to rest
                            The meadow lies in repose
                            Peaceful after the concert
                            Tiny Shirabyoshi
                            End the dance as Dawn unfolds

                            - mokurai
                          • Choronzey, Marc
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                              woo-hoo! err.... yosh.

                              hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                              english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                              they are very nice indeed. :)

                              Poetry challenge
                              monk and warrior confront
                              Afternoon's delight.

                              (hehehe)

                              -Marc Choronzey
                              Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                              Page : 514.414.0907
                              Cell : 514.917.4764

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                Eric Munson wrote:

                                > I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
                                > is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters

                                You know, if you did go with cicadas you could say in all honesty and with a
                                straight face that you live in a "semi"-detached house. <G>

                                Effingham
                              • Eric Munson
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                  ACK!

                                • Eric Munson
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                    Well, I suppose we are playing fast and loose with the rules, but a good
                                    round of Renga now and then is good for the soul.

                                    - mokurai

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                      Choronzey, Marc wrote:

                                      > woo-hoo! err.... yosh.
                                      >
                                      > hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                                      > english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                                      > they are very nice indeed. :)
                                      >
                                      > Poetry challenge
                                      > monk and warrior confront
                                      > Afternoon's delight.

                                      Afternoon's delight?

                                      Hmmm.

                                      Afternoon delight.
                                      Dressed up like a deuce, you know.
                                      Runner in the night.

                                      Effingham
                                    • Choronzey, Marc
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                        LOL LOL LOL I surrender! I cant afford to split a gut at the office.... I
                                        have to pay for the ambulance ride... (hehehe)

                                        -Marc Choronzey
                                        Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                                        Page : 514.414.0907
                                        Cell : 514.917.4764

                                      • Solveig
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                          Ii dono!

                                          Greetings from Solveig!

                                          >What about 'suzu-mushi'? I've seen it translated as 'bell cricket' and,
                                          >even though it is a specific type, it might work here. I also missed,
                                          >earlier, whether you had considered '-den'. I'm not sure if it can be
                                          >used in a name, however, although I thought I remembered it being used for
                                          >such. Would 'Suzu-den' (Bell Mansion) be doable?

                                          I am pretty sure that suzu-mushi is one of those poetic references rather
                                          than an actual primary word. There are other examples. In modern Japan,
                                          gokiburi are also known as abura-mushi. You are correct that -den is another
                                          building forming word, I was trying to go for things which would be a bit
                                          personal appropraite for Mokurai-bozu and still create the image of a larger
                                          rather than a smaller structure.