Cricket House - sorta OT

  • Eric Munson
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 29, 2003
      Konichiwa,

      I have thought about naming my house (physical, not an SCA group) for a
      long time now and am thinking of using "Cricket House" or "House of the
      Many Crickets", etc. Can someone give me a quick hint as to how to
      construct the name in Japanese, please? I have a basic idea, but don't
      want to screw it up. I suppose I'll need kanji as well so I can make a
      nice plaque.

      Thanks,

      - mokurai

      'Who knows how to have
      The Void for his head
      To have Life as his backbone
      And Death for his tail?
      He shall be my friend!"
      - Chuang Tzu

    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 29, 2003
        Mokurai Bozu!

        Greetings from Solveig! One naming pattern that you might want to follow
        that used by tea houses. Since your house is presumably fairly large, you
        might want to call it -tei or even -dou or even -kaku (although I doubt
        that it is that large). Of course you might want to call it a temple in
        which case it should have two names -ji and -zan.

        Cricket is translated as ko'orogi and requires two kanji. This makes a
        direct translation rather unlikely as a name. How about using chicadas
        instead? If you do that, then you wind up with something like

        Senzentei

        Crickets turns out to be something like

        Senko'orogitei

        which doesn't sound very good as a name.

      • Jennifer Oaks
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
          Can you explain further the practice of "naming a house"?

          Keiaiji no Nyudo Nyodai

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
            At 08:35 AM 9/30/2003 -0400, Keiaiji no Nyudo Nyodai wrote:
            >Can you explain further the practice of "naming a house"?

            Yes, please, I am curious about that, too. What are the characteristics of
            place names in Japan?

            --Tace of Foxele (Souma Tae)
            Riverwatch, Calontir
          • Eric Munson
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
              Konichiwa and gassho to my Dharma sister,

              As I recall, Japanese place names are pretty much like those of any
              other culture - "Hey, what do you call that mountain over there with all
              the pine trees? Oh, that's Pine Mountain."

              In naming my house, I am simply mimicking another practice which was to
              lend evocative names to homes or important structures. Just Japanese
              visual thinking, really. I am not thinking of a really good example just
              now, but I recall how there was a lady in Heiankyo who was known as
              "Lady Morning Glory" for the flowers that bloomed around her house. It's
              that sort of thing.

              Similarly, you see the practice of families adopting the name of a
              geographical feature or place as their clan name. Hence, Fujiwara means
              "Wisteria Field" (as I recall) and originally referred to a place near
              the family abode.

              - mokurai

            • Eric Munson
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003

                Well, you tell me. It is a four bedroom brick Victorian with full dining
                room, living room, front parlour, wrap-around porch... I have _no_ idea
                how to translate that into tatami-measurement size rooms!

                > Of course you might want to call it a temple in which
                > case it should have two names -ji and -zan.

                I thought about that, but really this is a family home - our estate, if
                you will. I suppose I could imagine a little temple nearby from which we
                got the name, but this is a mundane real-life thing as much as it is SCA
                fun.

                > Cricket is translated as ko'orogi and requires two kanji.
                > This makes a direct translation rather unlikely as a name.
                > How about using cicadas instead?

                Nope. Sorry. They are crickets - thousands of cute little black crickets
                I see every day in my garden. ^_^

                > If you do that, then you
                > wind up with something like
                >
                > Senzentei
                >
                > Crickets turns out to be something like
                >
                > Senko'orogitei
                >
                > which doesn't sound very good as a name.

                I agree. Hmmm... Must be some other options. If it doesn't work, it
                doesn't work. Maybe something else will come to mind that really
                represents the spirit of the place, but so far the crickets have been
                the main thing. If we have a kami about, I am sure it manifests as a
                giant cricket.

                - mokurai
              • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
                  konnichi wa, tomodachi,
                  Tatami are roughly 3'x6'...it would be simple to figure out square
                  feet and convert to these measurements...

                  > Well, you tell me. It is a four bedroom brick Victorian with full dining
                  > room, living room, front parlour, wrap-around porch... I have _no_ idea
                  > how to translate that into tatami-measurement size rooms!
                  >

                  > ko'orogi = crickets...
                  how about calling the place cricket hall...ko'orogi-in...

                  this would be along similar lines to the byôdo-in...

                  Just thoughts...

                  Date Saburou Yukiie
                  Yama Kaminari Ryu
                  Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
                  http://www.kabutographics.com (under reconstruction...<again>)
                  kabuto@...
                • Eric Munson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003

                    Yeah. Yeah. I just haven't had time for such an exercise. That and it
                    never occurred to me as I had only one room I was planning to put tatami
                    in (now the nursery - my japanese stuff is being banished to the attic).

                    > > ko'orogi = crickets...
                    > how about calling the place cricket hall...ko'orogi-in...

                    Actually, '-in' was the first suffix I had thought I might use, but I
                    figured it could never be as simple as just tacking that on the end of
                    the word for cricket. I think it sounds decent, but is it appropriate?
                    Not that I have a lot of Japanese neighbors who would be insulted.

                    Thanks, Date.

                    - mokurai
                  • Solveig
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
                      Mokurai bozu!

                      Greetings from Solveig! How about a more generic name than cricket?
                      Crickets are described as belonging to a family of insects whose
                      name is coincident with "older brother". That would give you

                      Sengontei

                      In this case, kon refers to an insect or other small animal.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
                        Eric Munson wrote:

                        > Konichiwa,
                        >
                        > I have thought about naming my house (physical, not an SCA group) for a
                        > long time now and am thinking of using "Cricket House" or "House of the
                        > Many Crickets", etc. Can someone give me a quick hint as to how to
                        > construct the name in Japanese, please? I have a basic idea, but don't
                        > want to screw it up. I suppose I'll need kanji as well so I can make a
                        > nice plaque.

                        This brings back some pleasant memories.

                        One of my closest friends in my Trimarian days was a fellow Japanophile who went
                        by the nickname "Cricket" and so was called "Kôrogi" as a nickname (Japanese for
                        cricket).

                        In Chinese, they're called "xishui," written with the same kanji. An on'yomi
                        (native Japanese "Chinese reading") pronunciation of the kanji gives
                        "Shisshutsu." So...

                        Why not "Shissutsu-in"?

                        Effingham

                      • Solveig
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
                          Keiaiji no Nyudo Nyodai dono!

                          Greetings from Solveig!

                          >Can you explain further the practice of "naming a house"?

                          Mokurai bozu happens to be a Buddhist monk of some sort. Consequently,
                          I was suggesting a number of suffixes used either for monastic buildings
                          or used for tea houses. Tea practitioners were a quasi-monastic lot of
                          artists. Basicallly, the names in these cases should use on-yomi (Chinese)
                          readings and end with one of the basic building words of which I did not
                          include a complete list. In place names, you often see <number><object>
                          formations so I simply took the onyomi for thousand and chicada. I am
                          recommending against cricket because it requires two kanji to write
                          cricket and the resulting word is quite long. Also, while crickets have
                          high esteem in China, the chicada has high esteem in Japan. Further, both
                          are insects known for the noise that they make. The basic structure follows:

                          <descriptive><substantive><building type>

                          Remember that he is naming a building and not a group of people. Nor is he
                          seeking a toponymic used to name a place. Places are named a bit differently.

                          As Mokurai bozu pointed out, Fujiwara does indeed mean <wysteria><field>.
                          There are variants on the origin of the name. The one which recalls itself
                          to mind is that shortly after the successful coup d'etat by a member of the
                          imperial family and a member of the Nakatomi uji, the new emperor created
                          a new uji (clan) for his collaborator. Regardless, they were supposeably
                          sitting together and happened to look out upon a field of wysteria in bloom
                          and the emperor commemorated the occasion by creating the Fujiwara uji.

                          Note. The imperial family long long ago secured the right to create new uji
                          and did so very rarely. While people were freely creating family names
                          during the Kamakura and Muromachi periods, the uji remained relatively
                          static. Consequently, I generally recommend that people pick uji from
                          lists of extant uji. Uji were very large and there is no possibility of
                          pretense in picking an extant uji. Rather, the opposite is true.
                          Creating an uji is in my opinion pretentious.

                          Family names and rural house names may be largely coincident. This is because
                          the medieval Japanese concept of the family is based upon cohabitation and not
                          on blood line. This is further complicated by the myouden or named fields.

                          I all fairness to Lord Alban St. Albans, I should recommend a modest work on
                          pre-modern Japanese names entitled Name Construction in Medieval Japan and
                          available by writing to: mailto:Alban@...

                        • Solveig
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 30, 2003
                            Date dono!

                            Greetings from Solveig!
                            >how about calling the place cricket hall...ko'orogi-in...
                            >
                            >this would be along similar lines to the byôdo-in...
                            >
                            >Just thoughts...

                            Here is my read on it. ko'orogi is problematic.

                            Incidentaly, semi (chicada) is also translated as locust.

                            -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
                            the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.

                          • Ii Saburou
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                              On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Solveig wrote:

                              > Greetings from Solveig!
                              > >how about calling the place cricket hall...ko'orogi-in...
                              > >
                              > >this would be along similar lines to the byôdo-in...
                              > >
                              > >Just thoughts...
                              >
                              > Here is my read on it. ko'orogi is problematic.
                              >
                              > Incidentaly, semi (chicada) is also translated as locust.
                              >
                              > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
                              > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.
                              > --

                              What about 'suzu-mushi'? I've seen it translated as 'bell cricket' and,
                              even though it is a specific type, it might work here. I also missed,
                              earlier, whether you had considered '-den'. I'm not sure if it can be
                              used in a name, however, although I thought I remembered it being used for
                              such. Would 'Suzu-den' (Bell Mansion) be doable?

                              -Ii
                            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                Solveig, my Clan Sister,

                                > Here is my read on it. ko'orogi is problematic.
                                >
                                > Incidentaly, semi (chicada) is also translated as locust.
                                >
                                > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
                                > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.
                                > --

                                I figure as Mokurai bozu practices non-attachment in this world of
                                mappo, the distinction between one insect or another looses some of
                                its former importance...All life, even insect life, has its place in
                                the universe...

                                Date Saburou Yukiie
                              • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                  > Solveig, my Clan Sister,

                                  > > -in more or less means palace which just doesn't seem to match
                                  > > the aspect of Mokurai bozu all that well.

                                  ...and "insect palace" seems to be quite the pun to bring a smile to
                                  the lips...

                                  Date Saburou Yukiie
                                • Eric Munson
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                                    Really? Tell me the next time you are stung by a firefly! The mountain
                                    is green and the flowers are red. ^_^

                                    > All life, even insect
                                    > life, has its place in the universe...

                                    Indeed.

                                    I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
                                    is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters (including politics).
                                    Thus, some things in his world predate his entering of the way or are
                                    things that were once possessions of, or associated with, the Matsuyama
                                    clan. In that sense, the '-in' would be ok. Though Solveig is right in
                                    that it doesn't quite match Mokurai's "aspect". On the other hand, Eric
                                    Munson is quite fond of his Victorian house and his materialistic
                                    collection of antiques. ^_^

                                    - mokueric, wannabe Victorian tea master
                                  • Eric Munson
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                                      I follow the Yaen school and am a devotee of the rotten peach sutra.

                                      > Consequently, I was suggesting a number of suffixes used
                                      > either for monastic buildings or used for tea houses. Tea
                                      > practitioners were a quasi-monastic lot of artists.

                                      Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am leaning
                                      towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit most
                                      of the criteria being brought up. Sounds pretty good to my poor ears.

                                      > Family names and rural house names may be largely coincident.
                                      > This is because the medieval Japanese concept of the family
                                      > is based upon cohabitation and not on blood line. This is
                                      > further complicated by the myouden or named fields.

                                      Kinda like hippies or SCAdians. Seriously, this is all interesting
                                      stuff. Thank you.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                                        > Really? Tell me the next time you are stung by a firefly! The mountain
                                        > is green and the flowers are red. ^_^

                                        :)

                                        even the crickets
                                        chirping for their enemies
                                        malicious fireflies

                                        ...damned malicious fireflies
                                        :)

                                        Date
                                      • Choronzey, Marc
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                          ----> Cricket unheeded
                                          A moment interupted
                                          Ouch! Flickering pain...
                                          ---->

                                          Not obvious to write "Improv Haiku" when works keep interupting. lol

                                          -Marc Choronzey
                                          Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                                          work : 514.420.7888 poste 3221
                                          Page : 514.414.0907
                                          Cell : 514.917.4764

                                        • Eric Munson
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                                            malicious fireflies
                                            Glowing inside my lantern
                                            Longing to fly free
                                            Outside, the summer night sings
                                            And ugly crickets are safe

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                              > malicious fireflies
                                              > Glowing inside my lantern
                                              > Longing to fly free
                                              > Outside, the summer night sings
                                              > And ugly crickets are safe
                                              >
                                              > - mokurai

                                              > malicious fireflies
                                              > Glowing inside my lantern
                                              > Longing to fly free
                                              > Outside, the summer night sings
                                              > And ugly crickets are safe

                                              fireflies and crickets
                                              all gather to hear music
                                              enemies no more

                                              katana put down
                                              gagaku in the grasses
                                              stingers laid to rest

                                              Date
                                            • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Munson" <eric@m...> wrote:
                                                > Indeed. And I appreciate that very much, thanks. Right now I am
                                                leaning
                                                > towards Effingham's suggestion - "Shissutsu-in", it seems to fit
                                                most
                                                > of the criteria being brought up.

                                                Does any of this have to do with going bughouse? ;->

                                                Makiwara, whose Western alter-ego is chatelaine of Chateau des Singes
                                                (The Monkey House)
                                              • Eric Munson
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003

                                                  Well done!

                                                  Stingers laid to rest
                                                  The meadow lies in repose
                                                  Peaceful after the concert
                                                  Tiny Shirabyoshi
                                                  End the dance as Dawn unfolds

                                                  - mokurai
                                                • Choronzey, Marc
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                                    woo-hoo! err.... yosh.

                                                    hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                                                    english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                                                    they are very nice indeed. :)

                                                    Poetry challenge
                                                    monk and warrior confront
                                                    Afternoon's delight.

                                                    (hehehe)

                                                    -Marc Choronzey
                                                    Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                                                    Page : 514.414.0907
                                                    Cell : 514.917.4764

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                                      Eric Munson wrote:

                                                      > I suppose I should note that Mokurai does come from a samurai family and
                                                      > is thus not entirely detached from worldly matters

                                                      You know, if you did go with cicadas you could say in all honesty and with a
                                                      straight face that you live in a "semi"-detached house. <G>

                                                      Effingham
                                                    • Eric Munson
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                                        ACK!

                                                      • Eric Munson
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                                          Well, I suppose we are playing fast and loose with the rules, but a good
                                                          round of Renga now and then is good for the soul.

                                                          - mokurai

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                                            Choronzey, Marc wrote:

                                                            > woo-hoo! err.... yosh.
                                                            >
                                                            > hehehe, although, I think they should either be all japanese or all
                                                            > english, I believe it becomes too easy to mix-n-match. Still, all-in-all,
                                                            > they are very nice indeed. :)
                                                            >
                                                            > Poetry challenge
                                                            > monk and warrior confront
                                                            > Afternoon's delight.

                                                            Afternoon's delight?

                                                            Hmmm.

                                                            Afternoon delight.
                                                            Dressed up like a deuce, you know.
                                                            Runner in the night.

                                                            Effingham
                                                          • Choronzey, Marc
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                                              LOL LOL LOL I surrender! I cant afford to split a gut at the office.... I
                                                              have to pay for the ambulance ride... (hehehe)

                                                              -Marc Choronzey
                                                              Support SAC, BMC Montreal
                                                              Page : 514.414.0907
                                                              Cell : 514.917.4764

                                                            • Solveig
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Oct 1, 2003
                                                                Ii dono!

                                                                Greetings from Solveig!

                                                                >What about 'suzu-mushi'? I've seen it translated as 'bell cricket' and,
                                                                >even though it is a specific type, it might work here. I also missed,
                                                                >earlier, whether you had considered '-den'. I'm not sure if it can be
                                                                >used in a name, however, although I thought I remembered it being used for
                                                                >such. Would 'Suzu-den' (Bell Mansion) be doable?

                                                                I am pretty sure that suzu-mushi is one of those poetic references rather
                                                                than an actual primary word. There are other examples. In modern Japan,
                                                                gokiburi are also known as abura-mushi. You are correct that -den is another
                                                                building forming word, I was trying to go for things which would be a bit
                                                                personal appropraite for Mokurai-bozu and still create the image of a larger
                                                                rather than a smaller structure.