period musical instruments

  • mattfmcti
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2003
      Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)

      Does anyone have any information about or could direct me to a place
      where I could find out about period musical instruments and music? I
      am particularly interested in the hichiriki, a double-reeded
      instrument. I studied oboe for 12 years in school, so I hope it's
      something I could pick up easily.

      Domou Arigato Gozaimasu

      Murasaki no Haruichiban
      mka Matt
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2003
        Murasaki no Haruichiban dono!

        Greetings from Solveig! The hichiriki is a kind of end blown double
        reed bamboo flute. It is used for gagaku music. You can find gagaku
        music by looking for either gagaku or bugaku. Bugaku is a dance form
        associated with gagaku. I may have some very basic references for
        this sort of music around here some place.

      • Brian Dean
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2003
          the only place i know of that has any worldmusic instruments is the
          webstore, Lark in the Morning
          i think the URL is www.Larkinthemorning.com
          and visit you local renfair,,, i was lucky to find a nice and fairly cheap
          Shakuhachi last year, it is just a little longer than a standard one, has a
          more mellow and lower tone and a beautiful sound. and Extremly playable,

          Onishi Hirotora no Tatsukami
          aka, Dughan

          >From: "mattfmcti" <mattfmcti@...>
          >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [SCA-JML] period musical instruments
          >Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:33:22 -0000
          >
          >Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
          >
          >Does anyone have any information about or could direct me to a place
          >where I could find out about period musical instruments and music? I
          >am particularly interested in the hichiriki, a double-reeded
          >instrument. I studied oboe for 12 years in school, so I hope it's
          >something I could pick up easily.
          >
          >Domou Arigato Gozaimasu
          >
          >Murasaki no Haruichiban
          >mka Matt

          Share your photos without swamping your Inbox. Get Hotmail Extra Storage
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2003
            mattfmcti wrote:

            > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
            >
            > Does anyone have any information about or could direct me to a place
            > where I could find out about period musical instruments and music? I
            > am particularly interested in the hichiriki, a double-reeded
            > instrument. I studied oboe for 12 years in school, so I hope it's
            > something I could pick up easily.

            Hichiriki? Brave men. People have been known to go on murderous rampages at
            hichiriki solos.

            A wonderful story my old shakuhachi prof told us at FSU:

            A heian nobleman returned to his home to find it had been robbed. Everything he
            owned -- everything -- was gone. All but his hichiriki, which had been left
            lying on the floor. Dejected, he sat down and began playing. The thief heard the
            playing, and brought everything back.

            One moral says that he was moved by the plaintive notes. Another moral -- the
            one most likely -- is that he brought the stuff back to get the guy to stop
            playing. <G>

            Effingham
          • ekoogler1@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2003
              I don't know what they have in the way of Japanese instruments, but I do know
              that the House of Musical Traditions in Silver Spring, Maryland, has one of the
              widest selections of instruments of all sorts I've ever seen. They currently
              also have a shop at the Maryland Renaissance Faire, if you're close by and can
              get there. I also know they have a web site, www.musicaltraditions.com. Even
              if they don't have one, they probably could find you what you're looking for.
              I have seen shakuhachis there.

              Kiri
            • mattfmcti
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2003
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
                wrote:
                > mattfmcti wrote:
                >
                > > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
                > >
                > > Does anyone have any information about or could direct me to a place
                > > where I could find out about period musical instruments and music? I
                > > am particularly interested in the hichiriki, a double-reeded
                > > instrument. I studied oboe for 12 years in school, so I hope it's
                > > something I could pick up easily.
                > >

                > Hichiriki? Brave men. People have been known to go on murderous rampages =
                at
                > hichiriki solos.
                >
                > A wonderful story my old shakuhachi prof told us at FSU:
                >
                > A heian nobleman returned to his home to find it had been robbed. Everyth=
                ing he
                > owned -- everything -- was gone. All but his hichiriki, which had been le=
                ft
                > lying on the floor. Dejected, he sat down and began playing. The thief he=
                ard the
                > playing, and brought everything back.
                >
                > One moral says that he was moved by the plaintive notes. Another moral --=
                the
                > one most likely -- is that he brought the stuff back to get the guy to st=
                op
                > playing. <G>
                >
                > Effingham

                Funny *G* I should add that to my list of double-reed stories. I can
                imagine it now...Shôgun by right of driving everyone else stark raving
                mad with my trusty hichiriki...mwa ha ha ha!

                Murasaki
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2003
                  mattfmcti wrote:

                  > Funny *G* I should add that to my list of double-reed stories. I can
                  > imagine it now...Shôgun by right of driving everyone else stark raving
                  > mad with my trusty hichiriki...mwa ha ha ha!

                  Oh, dear: I just had the image of someone trying to authorize in hichiriki and
                  sho, and finding that no marshals could stand to be on the field. <G>

                  Effingham
                • Solveig
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Baron Edward!

                    Greetings from Solveig!

                    >Oh, dear: I just had the image of someone trying to authorize in hichiriki and
                    >sho, and finding that no marshals could stand to be on the field. <G>

                    Just because a sho sounds like a banshee in heat? What has become of our
                    marshals?

                  • Eric Munson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003

                      This is great. I see this being retold at Pennsic next year....

                      - mo
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                        Solveig wrote:

                        > Just because a sho sounds like a banshee in heat? What has become of our
                        > marshals?

                        They're brave enough in the face of rattan, but like most would blanch at the
                        shriek of a hichiriki. Hey, they're only human. <G>

                        Effingham
                      • Bubba
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                          Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                          > Oh, dear: I just had the image of someone trying to authorize in
                          > hichiriki and sho, and finding that no marshals could stand to be on
                          > the field. <G>

                          Well, there once was a guy that attempted to get a set of foam and duct tape
                          bagpipes authorized. Almost managed to, but the knight marshal managed to
                          stop laughing long enough to realize they'd make a nice flail.
                          --
                          Gundy
                          mysticz28@...