[SCA-JML] Kimono Creation

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 7, 1999
      I am looking for information concerning kimonos both period and modern. I
      found a place in Sakae that sells used kimonos, and I went in with a
      friend who wanted to buy one for herself. I am also interested in kimono,
      but being six foot something is not helpful.

      First: How different are the 'traditional' kimonos of Japan from those of
      the Meiji, Edo, and earlier periods? I noticed that the shopkeeper
      pointed out the various cloth styles and that they were all on rolls of
      similar length. From what I understood, I gathered that the kimono was
      made by using four strips for the front, and four strips for the back,
      with a fairly simple seam. Could anyone elaborate on this process or
      point to resources that might help?

      Anything would be helpful, but I am especially interested in learning the
      subtle differences between a man and woman's kimono, as well as the proper
      method of wearing one, either alone or with other accesories.

      -Godric Logan
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)