Re: [SCA-JML] nyoubu

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2000
      Noble Cousins!

      >What were the court ranks attained by the famous women writers of old
      >Japan? I mean Sei Shonagon, Murasaki Shikibu, Izumi Shikibu, Lady
      >Nijo...

      That is a great question. Note. The court ranks, offices and what naught
      did change over their careers. I would suggest looking in either a
      Literary or Historical Who's Who book. I've got a couple of these
      listed in the biography for my modest pamphlet. The best one of the
      two is called Kamakura Muromachi Jinmei Jiten and if I recall
      correctly is published by Kadokawa. Despite its title, it has quite
      a few entries for the Heian period as well. The biographical
      entries often give lots of information on name changes, offices
      held and stuff like that. Another source for this type of information
      is in any of the big Japanese dictionaries. I own Daijirin which I
      picked up because of an advertisement for the thing that I saw
      posted in a train. (The only other train add that I really recall
      responding to was the advertisement for Ginkatetsudonoyoru which
      since it was written originally by Miyazawa Kenji was a pretty
      easy sale.) Baron Edward will proubly tell you that some other
      mega-dictionary is superior to Daijirin, but I've gotten a lot
      of use out it. If you have access to an East Asian research library,
      you should be able to find a more encyclopedic dictionary of
      historical and literary figures. At least Kamakura Muromach Jinmei
      Jiten is something that I could afford to buy and is even small
      enough to take to Pennsic on occasion.

      | techie.com |