Another garb question--period dyes

  • Jennifer Oaks
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2003
      Greetings all,
      One project I want to start working on soon is making a kesa (my persona is a Buddhist nun), and I have some fabric that I would like to dye black, which is what Buddhist monks and nuns did in period (and even still today). What would be a period Japanese source for black dye?

      Keiaiji no Nyudo Nyodai

    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2003
        Keiaiji no Nyudo Nyodai!

        Greetings from Solveig! I donn't know what was used for dye, but lamp black
        is the pigment in sumie ink.

      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2003
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Oaks" <jennmoaks@m...>
          wrote:
          > Greetings all,
          > One project I want to start working on soon is making a kesa (my
          persona is a Buddhist nun), and I have some fabric that I would like
          to dye black, which is what Buddhist monks and nuns did in period
          (and even still today). What would be a period Japanese source for
          black dye?

          I think there might be something on dyes at
          http://www.reconstructinghistory.com

          Makiwara