[SCA-JML] Re: long list of questions

  • Markejag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 7, 1999
      Greetings all.

      A quick reply for Carl.

      <<1. the garb i have was made by using the folk wear patterns, are these
      period? also, is there anyone out there who makes japanese garb to sell?>>

      Folk wear patterns may not be perfectly authentic, but it is a good place
      to start (meaning you can make some good looking garb for the moment, but
      after getting the feel of how the garments are made, try to stitch some more
      period pieces).
      Some beginner books to look into are:
      The Book of Kimono, by Norio Yamanaka, she has a nice brief history, examples
      on how to tie your hakama and how to fold your clothes (good for packing for
      the War).
      Make your own Japanese Clothes, by John Marshall, includes sewing tips, stays
      with the period 18 inch width fabric and how to measure and construct from
      this size of weave, no really historical background.
      Japanese Costume, History and Tradition by Alan Kennedy, Be careful with this
      book, most of the designs are post-period, though in the back section you
      will find Kesa, a Buddhist garment.
      An SCA gentle from the Midrealm use to make Japanese style clothing, as I
      recall his name if Felix Needleworthy. I can't find his buisness card, but
      if someone on this list knows, maybe they can forward you the information.

      Happy sewing!
      Fumio
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)