Re: [SCA-JML] Kyougen questions

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 20, 2000
      Kass McGann wrote:

      > I would like to state for the record that I had no intention
      > of competing in the "Pathetic " category. My contribution
      > was cross-entered under "Advanced Age" and "Useless
      > Knowledge".

      Semantics, dearest. Semantics. <G>

      Effingancient
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 20, 2000
        Continuing a thread. They're moderately ancient Japanese pop groups. We're
        trying to find who's the oldest and most pathetic among us.

        I would like to state for the record that I had no intention of competing in the "Pathetic " category.  My contribution was cross-entered under "Advanced Age" and "Useless Knowledge".

        Aoi
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 20, 2000
          >      I would like to state for the record that I had no intention
          >      of competing in the "Pathetic " category.  My contribution
          >      was cross-entered under "Advanced Age" and "Useless
          >      Knowledge".

          Semantics, dearest. Semantics. <G>

          Effingancient

          And here I was afraid that you would say, "Methinks teh lady doth protest too much" or something clever like that there...
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 23, 2000
            Baron Edward.

            How about the song Glass Ringo? Or how about Wakashimazu? (Switching
            to Sumo for the last one.) Let's see. How about Oh (if you must talk
            about baseball.) Or how about the two Kent's on TV or that perenial
            favorite Wiki san? Do you remember rainbowman? If you didn't live
            in Tokyo you do not need to have heard of rainbowman. He was (as
            best as I can tell) a Tokyo phenomenon.

            | techie.com |
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 23, 2000
              Noble Cousins!

              The song Glass Ringo was big ca 1983. Now for a singer who made it
              big in the U.S. Sakamoto Kyu.

              | techie.com |
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 23, 2000
                Noble Cousins!

                It really is quite simple. I am both the oldest and the most pathetic.

                | techie.com |
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 23, 2000
                  Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                  > Baron Edward.
                  >
                  > How about the song Glass Ringo? Or how about Wakashimazu? (Switching
                  > to Sumo for the last one.) Let's see. How about Oh (if you must talk
                  > about baseball.) Or how about the two Kent's on TV or that perenial
                  > favorite Wiki san? Do you remember rainbowman? If you didn't live
                  > in Tokyo you do not need to have heard of rainbowman. He was (as
                  > best as I can tell) a Tokyo phenomenon.

                  Let's take it back even farther:

                  Suika no meikanchi?

                  Aoi tori?

                  (Don't get me going on Wiki-san. We used to *love* making fun of the
                  businessmen feigning deafness or somesuch when he came into view. "Good
                  mooooaning! Whea aah yuu goin?")

                  Effingham
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 25, 2000
                    Baron Edward!

                    Drat. I can not recall the words. But, how about

                    1) Children who have not known war.
                    2) The Japanese version of blue blue my love is blue

                    Many of the people on this list were probably born after those
                    passed from memory.

                    However, (as I recall) you can still hear the Army Song and
                    the Navy Song in Tokyo when one of those big black trucks
                    shows up. Now THAT puts it back before I was born.

                    | techie.com |
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 25, 2000
                      Noble Cousins!

                      Those of you who have not yet been to Japan will probably be a
                      bit surprised when you first see how Japanese group sing alongs
                      are lead.

                      | techie.com |