Looking for event support

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
      Greetings to the Japanese Personae of the Knowne World (well, those
      subscribed here, at least).

      I am currently in talks with Lord Pao Hu Tso of the Great Dark Horde
      regarding the possibility of doing a large Japanese vs. Mongol event in
      2005. We would like to have everything together by next Pennsic, and we
      are currently looking at Eastern Ohio as the possible site. The Great
      Dark Horde sounds like they are interested, and I need to get a feeling
      from various Japanese personae--I know that we have people across the
      country, but it seems that we have an extremely large concentration
      between the Middle, Aethlmarc, and the East. We are looking to draw
      people from all over, however.

      So, if you are interested, let me know off-list; I know I talked with a
      few people about this at Pennsic. Some of the things that would be nice
      to know:
      a) Where do people live (general state/zip code stuff)?
      b) How far are you willing to go for an event?
      ...for a specifically Japanese-Mongol themed event?
      c) Do you think you would be willing or able to help?
      d) How long would you expect (weekend, day-trip, week!?!)

      This is still in the formulating stages right now, but we are looking for
      people who would like to help. Ideas for combat scenarios, feast,
      archery, thrown weapons, etc. -- or just plain schtick -- would be greatly
      appreciated. Please e-mail me at logan@... if you have any
      interest in such an event.

      I'll definitely have more information for people as the date nears, but it
      would be good to feel out how many people we think we can get from the
      Japanese community to help push back the Mongols. We are thinking of
      trying a lot of 'Japanese v. Mongol' team style events, it sounds like.

      -Ii
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
        Ii Dono!

        Greetings from Solveig! A Mongol-Japan War? sounds very interesting.

        As a practical matter, it will compete with Pennsic. I think that you
        should time the things to avoid this effect top the extent possible.
        I would like to suggest holding it over Memorial Day weekend which
        will give you at least three days. People are more likely to travel
        long distances for longer events. The problem with Memorial Day,
        is that travel rates go up for the holiday and the roads are more
        congested. Do try to time things to avoid such things a finals at
        major colleges and universities.

        Also, please consider to what extent you will be willing to accomodate
        those of non-Asian "persona".

        If the event is long enough, there might actually be both a Mongol feast
        based on Bruel's book and a Japanese feast based on sources in ZGR.

        Note. I have been known to fly from Toronto to Portland, Oregon for a
        five day event. For that matter, I once flew from Pulman to Seattle in
        a snowstorm for a scholae, but I'm like that. (The road to the airport
        was semi-closed, so I had to walk to the airport.)

        Regardless. I wish to offer my most unworthy assistance.