Re: [SCA-JML] Trail armour?

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
      On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jason wrote:

      > What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
      > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
      > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
      > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
      > right before wasting good leather and metal.

      I would recommend the posterboard--it is the easiest, and seems to do a
      decent job for getting the basic look. If you are REALLY committed to
      paper, there is a group in Japan that does some really full-fledged paper
      armour, IIRC.

      -Ii
    • Mark Grass
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
        I myself agree with using the plastic for your first
        set of armor. That is if you plan on using it. My
        entire first suit of armor from gorget down was made
        of 5 gallon pails. And the body was a modified version
        of Japanese armor made for Sir Haakon Oaktall.
        (Modification being that it was riveted and not laced)
        It works good but like was suggested paint it. It
        looks horrid on the field. Believe someone who had to
        suffer with wearing it openly due to lack of fighting
        garb!
        Arimasa
        --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
        > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jason wrote:
        >
        > > What is a good material to use to make a trial
        > armour for sizing a
        > > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will
        > even think about
        > > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I
        > want to get the
        > > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and
        > number/lacing of scales
        > > right before wasting good leather and metal.
        >
        > I would recommend the posterboard--it is the
        > easiest, and seems to do a
        > decent job for getting the basic look. If you are
        > REALLY committed to
        > paper, there is a group in Japan that does some
        > really full-fledged paper
        > armour, IIRC.
        >
        > -Ii

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • manxaikidoka
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jasdel@n...> wrote:
          > What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
          > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
          > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
          > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
          > right before wasting good leather and metal.
          >
          > Jason

          I've found that upholstery vinyl is about the nearest thing to
          leather and very cheap. I can be had in many colours and wieghts so
          it can be used for many jobs.. Hope this helps :o)
        • Brian Dean
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003
            Brown packing paper that you can pick up at the grocery store. trust me,,
            its a life saver

            Onishi Hirotora Kageyama

            >From: "Jason" <jasdel@...>
            >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [SCA-JML] Trail armour?
            >Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 04:26:02 -0000
            >
            >What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
            >patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
            >using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
            >sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
            >right before wasting good leather and metal.
            >
            >Jason

            Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
            http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003

              >I've found that upholstery vinyl is about the nearest thing to
              >leather and very cheap. I can be had in many colours and wieghts so
              >it can be used for many jobs.. Hope this helps :o)

              I see that you have been stalking the wild naga.