Re: [SCA-JML] Trail armour?

  • Alcyoneus
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
      Poster board, possibly heavy cloth.

      If you are better than I, you don't have to make it oversize, and trim down
      the metal afterwards. ;-)

      Alcyoneus
      At 04:26 AM 9/4/2003 +0000, you wrote:

      >What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
      >patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
      >using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
      >sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
      >right before wasting good leather and metal.
      >
      >Jason

    • Shawn Merritt
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
        The First question: Do you plan to USE this trial armor or is it just for measuring and patterning.
        If you plan to USE it, the 55 Gallon Plastic Food Grade Drums (AKA Pickle Barrel) is a good choice, Please however, PAINT IT!!!, No SMURF ARMOR.
        If you dont plan to use it , I would go with cardboard, posterboard or 5 gallon plastic buckets.

        you can also use lighter grade sheet metal.. if you do it right, it would make a nice set of light court armor.

        Sir Robert Valcore

        Jason <jasdel@...> wrote:
        What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
        patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
        using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
        sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
        right before wasting good leather and metal.

        Jason

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Gentleman and Mister Robert William Valcore
        of the Barony of Wolcott,
        Man at Arms of the Imperial Knighthood,
        Assistant Master of Sport,
        Guard to Duchess-Palatine Anora Landloch,
        Tavern Keeper at Kinges Wood

        Take a look at the House of Valcore Web site at
        http://houseofvalcore.tripod.com

        "Typical. Just when you're getting ahead,
        someone changes the odds." - MacGyver (Pegasus)

      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
          On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jason wrote:

          > What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
          > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
          > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
          > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
          > right before wasting good leather and metal.

          I would recommend the posterboard--it is the easiest, and seems to do a
          decent job for getting the basic look. If you are REALLY committed to
          paper, there is a group in Japan that does some really full-fledged paper
          armour, IIRC.

          -Ii
        • Mark Grass
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
            I myself agree with using the plastic for your first
            set of armor. That is if you plan on using it. My
            entire first suit of armor from gorget down was made
            of 5 gallon pails. And the body was a modified version
            of Japanese armor made for Sir Haakon Oaktall.
            (Modification being that it was riveted and not laced)
            It works good but like was suggested paint it. It
            looks horrid on the field. Believe someone who had to
            suffer with wearing it openly due to lack of fighting
            garb!
            Arimasa
            --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
            > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jason wrote:
            >
            > > What is a good material to use to make a trial
            > armour for sizing a
            > > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will
            > even think about
            > > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I
            > want to get the
            > > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and
            > number/lacing of scales
            > > right before wasting good leather and metal.
            >
            > I would recommend the posterboard--it is the
            > easiest, and seems to do a
            > decent job for getting the basic look. If you are
            > REALLY committed to
            > paper, there is a group in Japan that does some
            > really full-fledged paper
            > armour, IIRC.
            >
            > -Ii

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • manxaikidoka
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jasdel@n...> wrote:
              > What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
              > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
              > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
              > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
              > right before wasting good leather and metal.
              >
              > Jason

              I've found that upholstery vinyl is about the nearest thing to
              leather and very cheap. I can be had in many colours and wieghts so
              it can be used for many jobs.. Hope this helps :o)
            • Brian Dean
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003
                Brown packing paper that you can pick up at the grocery store. trust me,,
                its a life saver

                Onishi Hirotora Kageyama

                >From: "Jason" <jasdel@...>
                >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [SCA-JML] Trail armour?
                >Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 04:26:02 -0000
                >
                >What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
                >patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
                >using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
                >sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
                >right before wasting good leather and metal.
                >
                >Jason

                Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
                http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam
              • Solveig
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003

                  >I've found that upholstery vinyl is about the nearest thing to
                  >leather and very cheap. I can be had in many colours and wieghts so
                  >it can be used for many jobs.. Hope this helps :o)

                  I see that you have been stalking the wild naga.